• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Metz Marathon on R12RT

WooDmEn

I just put a Metz 880 Marathon on my '06 R12RT. The stock rear tire size is 180/55 17 ZR; the closest Marathon is 170/60 VR 17. I measured the before-and-after mounted tire diameter, and it is within 1/8". Lotsa deep tread on the Marathon. So far, only 20 or so miles, seems to handle all right, turns in a little quicker. Haven't hammered it on a curve yet, so I don't know if tread-squirm will be an issue, but it never has before when I used Marathons on LTs. At least there is the likely potential for decent tire-life! I can't afford a bike that eats rear tires in 3,500 miles! Of fairly easy driving! Seat-height didn't change appreciably.

Will advise future pereformance and tire-life. I'll prolly mount a Metz Z6 on the front when the stocker goes away.

880's

Just curious what the 60 v 55 ratio does to speedo reading. Does it screw up a perfectly accurate BMW speedometer? Why the Z6 instead of the 880 front? I hated 880's on my LT because of uneven wear near end of lifespan but doesn't seem to be near as much a problem on my 1150RT. I am an old guy I guess but the 880's handle just fine for me and I have 12k on them and are nursing them to 32k service.
PS, the accurate speedo part was a joke!

Speedo

Well, the speedo on the R12RT was 1-2mph fast with the stock tire, and it's 100% GPS-verified accurate with the 880.

RE: ME6 on the front: More grip v. the 880.

Anticipation

Can't wait to hear how this setup does, as it might be one I want to emulate. Just out of curiosity, what kind of rear only lasted 3500 miles?

Back