• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Liquid electrical tape and marine goodies

C

crgrbrts

I spent many years restoring Brit bikes with their Lucas electricals (y'know, Joseph Lucas, Prince of Darkness -- the man who invented the short circuit), so I'm especially keen to inspect and upgrade, if necessary, the electrical system on any bike I own.

I've just finished wiring work on "Red Sonja", my '90 K75S. This included installation of a homebrew brake light modulator and headlamp relay circuitry, upgrade to dual FIAMM horns and some tidying up of existing wiring.

When installing new components, like the headlamp relays, I usually solder the connections. New wiring is done with 12 gauge marine grade hookup wire and connections are protectively coated with this nifty stuff called "liquid electrical tape". It's made by Star Brite and is often available at home improvement centers like Home Depot or marine supply houses like West Marine -- which is also the source of the really good wire. Liquid electrical tape -- available in black, yellow and red -- is applied with a brush to the connection to be protected and allowed to dry. Tow or three coats should seal out any corrosion for a lifetime an is neater to apply and more permanent than heat shrink tubing or vinyl electrical tape. Once dry, it also provides some mechanical stability to the joint and resistance to failure.

It's good stuff.

I meant to mention that marine supply houses -- if you happen to be luck enough to live near one -- are great places to buy REALLY good polishes and protectants, fiberglass repair items for your bodywork, electrical supplies, etc.

I also recommend the use ot weatherproof Posi-Lock connectors to replace the old spade connectors in your wiring harness. They're slightly less handy to connect and disconnect but are far more secure and resistant to corrosion and they're really easy to install.

Back