• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Leaking Bing Carb ...bad floats?

rbryson

The left Bing carb on my R90/6 drips gas...aboout a drop a minute. I have replaced the float bowl gasket twice now but that has not helped. Could this be related to bad floats? I assume if the floats are bad then gas would continue to flow as long as the pet cock was open and the bowl would overflow above the height the gasket, soaking the cork gasket and causing it to leak. When I remove the bowl, open the pet cock and lift the floats the flow stops, which leads me to think my floats don't float, if you know what I mean. Any ideas?

Check the float needle. Crud can get stuck in there and cause the float needle to NOT seat properly causing gas to constantly flow into the float bowl. You might have worn float needles depending on the age/mileage of the bike. This also results in the float needle allowing fuel to pass into the float bowl unabated.

Woodgrain

If the flow stops as you lift the bowls up to the carb then the diaphram is floating as it should.

Maybe there isn't enough pressure on the bowl as it is being held to the bottom of the carb.

You could try silicone gaskets. One company that makes 'em is called real gaskets.

g'luck.

The tiny brass tube that sticks up from the bottom of the float bowl is the overflow tube. A properly functioning and adjusted float/needle set should never drip. A worn or gunked up float needle can allow a carb to drip along with a sunk float. I had a sunk float on one of my 750's. It had turned black, where as the other one was varnish brown. If you find crud in the bottom of a float bowl, it most likely got there by going past the needle/seat, and some of it may have accumulated on the passage. Find the ad for Bing Agency in your Owners News and order the carb book. The best $10 you'll ever spend.

A simple test for floatability is to put the float in a small container of gas. About 1/3 of the float should be above the fuel line. Be careful when removing the float. The hinge pin has a knurled edge on one end...IIRC, you should lightly push out the pin starting on the knurled end. Don't apply enough force that you'll damage the posts that hold the hinge pin.

Also check to be sure there are no restrictions in how the float moves up and down on the hinge...it shouldn't bind at all.

Kurt in S.A.

Had the same problem last year....called bing....replaced floats,neadles,and gaskets....use the cork gaskets....no more leaks. The cork gaskets expand when wet....a good thing,to stop leaks.They will leak a little when dry.....no gas in carbs.:type
My bike is over 30 years old ,didn`t test floats because I figured they were due a rest, and didn`t like gas in my shoes. Also found some of my leak was oil dripping from valve cover, replaced that too.Have heard of gas leaking from old fuel lines and dripping down carbs.

You can clean the needles but if the floats have ever had alcohol mixture in them they won't float well at all. If they are really dark brown or yellowed why not just renew them and save yourself the cost of replacing your shoes.

By the way, I just put gas in a bike that hasn't run in over 20 years. I thought I would just turn on the gas and start the bike. Unfortunately, I turned on the gas and it started leaking everywhere. I turned off the petcocks and the gas just kept on pouring out. After the gas was completely drained, I opened the petcock up to find the cork valve inside was totally shrunken. Never thought about checking that before putting gas in the tank.

All good points...but make sure you check that the metal bowl itself isn't leaking. I had a leak where the overflow tube (think that is what it is) is pressed into the bottom of the metal bowl. You could not see it with the naked eye, but I diagnosed it by taking the bowl off, wiping it clean, and leave some gas inside the bowl. Set it aside. If you note gas on the bottom some time later, it is somehow leaking through the metal bowl. (No matter how much you adjust the float, it will not correct this problem. Trust me.)

I am cheap, (or I have a big mortgage and too many toys) so I just used some JB Weld around the overflow tube inside the bowl rather than buying a new bowl. It stopped leaking, but I'm not sure if JB weld can withstand gasoline. I should probably check. The best way would probably be to replace the bowl.

I also noticed that turning your petcocks off when parked, and also parking on the centerstand will help reduce a leak if not eliminate it entirely.

Back