• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Krauser Repair

hoffmanswen

Has two wheels and flies
Well, I think it's inevitable that Krauser bags die of old age, but before I give up on these, I'd like to squeeze a few thousand more miles out of 'em. There has been a slow battle brewing between my left bag and me as to how long it will last. :mad :banghead

After a recent trip, some cracks began to grow at the point where the frame picks up the bag. The cracks have been stop-drilled to keep them from growing, but I'd like to know if the "collective wisdom" has any opinions about which adhesives would be best to draw the new openings closed. I once heard someone suggest ABS cement (the stuff used to glue drain plumbing together) for Krausers and Hepco & Beckers.
:dunno
Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
There should be someone in the Denver area who does plastic welding. In my experience, there is no glue that will successfully stick to these slick plastics. YMMV

There should be someone in the Denver area who does plastic welding. In my experience, there is no glue that will successfully stick to these slick plastics. YMMV

+1. I am assuming this is the same as ultrasonic welding. I have known guys that had cracked chain saw gas tanks repaired this way. If it works in that application, it should work on your bags.

The latches are another story. I am waiting for parts to fabricate a reliable closure and hinge system. If the test works out I'll post pic's.

some abs plumbing glues can work(best to glue a patch of abs over the crack), check the vetter website for "hotcha patch" they use for repairing the abs thier fairins were made from

some abs plumbing glues can work(best to glue a patch of abs over the crack), check the vetter website for "hotcha patch" they use for repairing the abs thier fairins were made from

I've also used fiberglass patch kits on abs plastic ( I think my Vetter fairing is approching 60% filberglass patch and 30% metal straps with screws with maybe only 10% remaining of the original plastic!) :laugh

(don't ask what happened to the remaining 10%, I think its liying by the side of the road somewhere, Ha Ha!)

RM

Epoxy?

I had a set of BMW bags (not Krauser) whose cracks were repaired with something that looked like epoxy (previous owner did it). They held my stuff just fine, no leaks or anything.

J.B. Weld. Have used it on just about everything, including some old Krauser bags. Worked like a dream. Make certain that you get some into the cracks and then spread a layer on the inside and the outside. Once hardened, it can be sanded smooth and painted to match the colour of the bag. :thumb

I have a buddy that repairs plastic car bumpers. He uses fiberglass drywall tape and epoxy. Epoxy will stick to abs and other plastics. The plastic weld material in 2 tubes is high strength epoxy. Polyester resin (fiberglass) will not. Bondo makes an epoxy resin paste that I have used for BMW fairing and hard bag repair with great success. The key is to use a rough sand paper around 60-80 grit to rough up the patch area. I have seen hard bags repaired this way and painted with truck bed liner spray and they looked new and resisted scratching.

Ralph Sims

Back