• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K75S New windshield

fuego

After the frame-off restoration of my K75S the only problem was the turbulence around my head at speed. The problem is solved with a New tinted Motorwork windshield (2 inches wider, 2 inches taller) AND the addition of a laminar lip.

I'm 5 feet 10 inches, once the laminar adjusted, I can ride with the visor open, listening to the subtle sound of that turbine of an engine !

So happy, the perfect motorcycle!!!

PXL_20220624_210409535.jpgPXL_20220624_210423460.jpg

It has been mentioned in previous threads that having a larger / taller windscreen on the K75S can pose some risks. Most notable is the effect of the wind loading on the wind screen at speed. The wind force on the upper part of the wind screen will try and cause the screen to pivot backwards. It is only the 4 screws at the bottom of the wind screen that resist this pivoting. There are 4 white plastic inserts into which these screws fit. The white plastic inserts expand from the screw insertion and friction holds things in place. The white plastic inserts can wear over time, but are fairly inexpensive and easy to replace. I also find it useful to use some larger washers to hold the windscreen in position.

This has been discussed previously in the thread linked below -

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?98900-91-K75S-Rubber-washers-under-windscreen-needed

There is a sticker, under the seat on the lid of the tool tray, that states: Maximum allowed speed with windscreen 99mph. That is for the stock windscreen. When you replace that screen with a barn door, that speed is lowered. If you always stay within the speed limits and stay away from high gusting winds, you might be ok. I, on the other hand, am incapable of doing that. I like to routinely verify that my bike is still capable of near its advertised top speed. I have upgraded the attachment of the stock screen and inspect/replace the parts often.

All I can say about the oversized screen plus the lip is be aware and good luck. A K75RT is actually designed to do what you are trying to accomplish.

Your bike looks GREAT! Nice work!

:dance:dance:dance

It is only the 4 screws at the bottom of the wind screen that resist this pivoting.

Actually the upper two do virtually nothing (other than keeping the screen from falling FORWARD), as they are so close to the pivot point. So you really have only two screws that are resisting the windscreen folding back.

I'm tall and was never able to get the wind turbulence noise sorted on my K75s, so I sold it . I'm currently riding a R1100RT after replacing the 75 with a K1100LT. The LT was just too hot, even with a johnny blanket. I'll get another 75 when the right 75c with a screen comes along.

Oh ! Jesus!

I didn't know that ! Should have read more before making the mod (which is quite confortable though).

Didn't know beforhand that the K75S had this turbulence problem. I bought it on the looks !!!

Thanks guys.

I'll remove the lip today, and I will check the white plastic anchors at the base of the windshield.

I didn't buy an RT because of the heat issue known on these.

The S is so fun to drive that I will live with the slight remaining turbulence, for I will keep the Motorwork windshield. I'm 61 so 70 to 75 mph is quitte enought for me ��. Also with the nuts and bolts frame-off restoration I just did, no way I can sell the bike for what it costs me ! I will take the time someday to post
a pictured restoration process here on the forum.

Again, thanks for all the info, it's about safety and safety mathers for me !

Ignace

Our K75s took us over 101,000 miles and several cross country trips two-up and the only time I didn't like the windscreen was when I added a taller screen. I'm 6'-5" and the turbulence with the TALLER screen was horrible. I hated that tall screen and went back to stock asap. We LOVED that bike!
K75s.JPG

No matter what screen you use WEAR EAR PLUGS!!! Your hearing will thank you latter in life. You will still be able to hear everything you need to to ride safely, you will enjoy the ride on your super smooth K75S more, and you will arrive at your destination more rested. The only downside is you will wear out more tires because you will be riding more.

A lot of what people perceive as buffeting is actually just wind noise. The easiest way of minimizing that is earplugs. I use the cheap roll up little yellow marshmallow ones by Ear that you can get about anywhere
(Including Harbor Freight). You can by better, but these work for me (and they are cheap and readily available).

I used to work in a paper mill as a professionnal engineer. A lot of older people there were litteraly deaf from their work at the mill! So since 1996, it's earplug for me whenever extra noise is probable.

You're so right Lee !

Have a nice Day !

Ignace

Back