• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1600GTL 2014 Passenger Wind Problem

Fineplumbing

Hi
Has anyones Passengers complained of to much wind on the GTL? My lady is very uncomfortable with it. I have tried raising and
lowering the windscreen with no change. We upgraded to the K1600 from a 2010 RT, she loved the RT.

Any suggestions?
Ed

V-stream windshield works great

We use a V-stream windshield by National Cycle and it really creates a quite ride for both rider and passenger. For us, the regular height shield is enough. Have used it both on my K1200GT and my K1600GT with great results. Major improvement on both bikes over stock shield.

Wife told me she preferred the wind protection on the trophy,I told her to trust me and bought cee Baileys tallest widest screen they make for this bike $ 250. she's happy and I have a much smoother, quieter, and faster bike.

OH sorry, I was on the way to buy a new 2014 triumph trophy when I saw the 2012 gtl in the showroom, after a demo on the gtl I couldn't buy the trophy.

Hi
Has anyones Passengers complained of to much wind on the GTL? My lady is very uncomfortable with it. I have tried raising and
lowering the windscreen with no change. We upgraded to the K1600 from a 2010 RT, she loved the RT.

Any suggestions?
Ed

My wife had the same complaint. Bought her a Shoei helmet and she is now happy to 85 mph. After that she just ducks her head.

My wife had the same complaint. Bought her a Shoei helmet and she is now happy to 85 mph. After that she just ducks her head.
Use to ride a Goldwing.:gerg The wife says she gets more wind on the GTL, but she likes being able to see over my head. She is the right height to where she can use the mirrors and see what I see.:) She usually has ear buds in to listen to music and books so a little wind noise isn't an issue. We run Shuberth helmets with BMW comm systems. Now that's a whole different issue.:banghead

Use to ride a Goldwing.:gerg The wife says she gets more wind on the GTL, but she likes being able to see over my head. She is the right height to where she can use the mirrors and see what I see.:) She usually has ear buds in to listen to music and books so a little wind noise isn't an issue. We run Shuberth helmets with BMW comm systems. Now that's a whole different issue.:banghead

Tell me about the bmw doom system!

Tell me about the bmw doom system!

Welcome to the fourm.
Comm systems have been discussed here in depth, all kinds of reviews, good and bad.
Do a little surfing or a search to find them.
If you want my personal opinion PM me.

The great windshield search

We had the same problem on our GTLE. Only comfortable for the wife if I stuck the windshield up high. Tried a Cee Bailey's that was wider and taller and that was great last Winter. We bought it as a package deal from someone who switched to a GS and also got the AeroFlow wings and winglets as well. Since I installed them all at the same time, not sure whether it was all due to the windscreen or the wings and winglets, but it was a totally different bike. I had grown unhappy with all the turbulence, but this really turned things around. Can't say enough about the wings and winglets.

Later, the weather was getting warmer and the huge Cee Bailey's was too much and too warm so I had a chance to pick up a Cal Sci windshield and did just as we were riding out to the National in Billings. Wow. Another great change. I ran the Cal Sci all Summer and with the exception of passing a little rain in the storms, it is definitely my windshield of choice for the Summer. Only bad thing was it was slightly wider and required me to remove the upper winglets. With the additional width, I couldn't really tell the difference. With cold weather back again, I'm going to reinstall the Cee Bailey's.

Side note and purely anecdotal. In my opinion, the stock GTL windshield is one of the worst designed windshields I've ever ridden behind. Horrible air management. Just my experience so you have to take into account my height (@ 68"), on a GTLE seat (a little different than the GT and GTL seats, and how and where I ride. YMMV.

Back