• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1100 Taillight Replacement

jnclem

I thought I would share my experience from the last few days in trying to replace my old K1100LT tail light bulb; maybe it will keep others from making the not so bright mistake that I made. I had read several threads on various K11 sites where people were asking what kind of bulb could be used in place of the stock bulb, and came to the conclusion that some people were successfully using a 1003 bulb. I don't have a dealer anywhere near me, so I wanted to find an acceptable bulb that I could buy in town, or find when on the road traveling.

I got a pack of two Phillips 1003 bulbs, put one in, and carried the other as a spare. I found the specs for that bulb on the Phillips site, and it was 10W, so all was good, for a couple of days, then the bulb burned out.

When I pulled it out, it was white, and there was a circle broken out of the top (rear) of the bulb. Hmm, not good. On closer inspection, I found that the clear, faceted, plastic piece that sits just inside (in front of) my red outer lens, was warped to the point of cracking, and had a round melted section where it had contacted the bulb. There were other indications of heat inside the fixture also.

The problem was not the wattage of the bulb, it was the size. The 1003 is 8mm longer than the stock bulb, so it either touches, or comes very close to touching, the inner clear plastic piece.

Anyway, I ordered a couple of stock bulbs from BMW, at $10 each with shipping, :eek and found a replacement tail light fixture on Ebay. I started to research bulbs, and here's what I found. I think an acceptable substitute is a #97 single filament bulb. It is .7mm shorter than the stock bulb, and 9.3W. A #67 bulb would even work in a pinch, it's about the same size, but only 8W. If I need to find a bulb on the road, I will use a #97 from now on, as they are available everywhere.

Once I put a #97, or now the stock bulb, in my old fixture, I found that I probably didn't actually need to replace the fixture, but I already bought the one on EBay. The correct length bulbs don't come anywhere near the plastic. I just didn't pay close enough attention when putting in the 1003 to notice that I was creating a problem. Anyway, that's my take on this question, and I hope it keeps someone form making the same mistake I did.

Thanks for writing this. You are not the first to melt a housing. Hopefully you will be the last forum reader to make that mistake.

Back