• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I've joined Aerostitch nation; must now be an Official BMW Geek

I have a BMW Comfort Shell suit, and it seems perfect for baking hot weather, the material (supposedly) opens or closes pores in cold or hot weather. BMW doesn't make the suit anymore, replaced by the Tourshell, but the basic concept still remains, venting is good, but the more hot or more cold, venting becomes less good. Electric heat works best in extreme cold, evaporative cooling works best in extreme heat. Between temps, venting helps to regulate temperature. Aerostich, BMW, whatever, look for what fits and is comfortable, and offers venting AND closed venting. Mesh is only good for hot temps in humid weather. It's not good at all for dry desert heat. Mesh in the desert might even be dangerous.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Motoport

Surprised that the OP only got 60K out of the BMW gear. I put 40K on my one piece R3 before sending it back for new zippers. I expect it'll last for many years. Using my old Motoport as backup while the R3 is in the shop. It has about 60K on it with no issues (other than rebuilding the pants after the EMT's cut them off me following a hit/run accident).

I'm actually kind of ambivalent about the 'Stich. I like that the Gore-Tex deals perfectly with light/moderate rain so no need to carry a bulky separate rain liner but am bummed that I get a wet crotch after about 10 minutes in torrential rain. It's cooler than the Motorport which is nice in the summer but the extra padding in the Motoport is extra insulation in the winter. I still haven't decided whether the convenience of the one-piece outweighs being able to just take off the jacket of the 2-piece when going into stores and eateries.

I just got Kevlar Motoport gear and it's GREAT. Fits perfectly because it's ALL custom sized and the price (minus the airfare to their shop) was competitive to Aerostitch with their limited mods. Highly recommend them - they were worth the airfare from the east coast to the west coast.

Back