• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is it worth it??

LTLJOHN

ltljohn
Ok all you thumper folks, I am looking at this bike but the price seems high to me. I looked at the NADA and average retail is $1,790 so even with all the extras I don't think it is worth any more than $2500 tops what do you think.
Thanks in advance

1997 BMW F650ST 29,000 miles Orlando Orange beautiful motorcycle - my wifes - Allentown, PA This is factory lowered and is perfect for my wife who can flat foot it at a standstill. Vicki is 5' 3 1/2" tall. accesories and modifications made: - adjustable brake & clutch levers $161 list (+ originals) - cruise control - throttlemeister $130 list - taller windscreen (+ original windscreen) $90 list - heated hand grips - Givi E360 Monokey Luggage Case and rack (cost $404)metallic silver - SW-MOTECH "Daypack II" Quick-Lock Tankbag and Gascap Mounting System (easy release to fill gas tank) $100 list - Kisan Pathblazer (headlight modulator) $130 list - tires are about 75% - 24K service done at dealer.

I think $2500 is at the extreme high end myself. Add ons are great, but a seller can expect to get only pennies on the dollar spent on them. IMHO.

As with so many "What's it worth?" questions the answer is really "Depends".

What are current market conditions in your area? Here in the PNW prices always seem higher than elsewhere (unless you are doing the selling) so I always take any NADA numbers with a large grain of salt. Cross-reference with KBB as long as you're doing the rersearch, there can be a fairly big spread between the two.

You are looking at a low-mileage bike, nicely equipped with aftermarket accessories, that has a record of maintenance...whether or not the dealer did a good job doing it is a question for another post...it is available and of enough interest for you to post here. The question to ask is: "Is $2500 too much for me to pay?" and that is the pre-haggle price too. Somewhere between $2-2500 for a clean running low-miles bike with a solid reputation for reliability like the F650 doesn't seem wholly unreasonable to me.

Like I said though, it depends...

Now that BMW has continued the thumper with the G650 at $7900 new, there may be a general decline in the value of the used F650s. I understand the G650 is essentially the old F650 with the engine painted black and assembly in China... hence the price.

AKBeemer has hit the nail on the head. The Fatherland has just disemboweled the used thumper market. I have been following used prices for about 4 months, and why would anyone pay what some of these sellers want for a 2006-07 when a new G650gs is available for another $1500 + or - and the new bike has the warranty?
The dealers will not want the used thumpers in their showrooms. Prospective sellers may be in for a very rude awakening.

I am looking at a used 650 because I now need a lighter bike, want to stay with BMW, and I refuse to pay the $$$ for a new F650 twin. The timing could not be more perfect.

If you want to see some real price insanity in the used bike market, try negotiating on K75's. In my area, a 1992 K75S, 9K miles, pristinely maintained, a collector is asking $6K. He turned down $4800. My offer was $4200. The bike is sitting on consignment. Rumor has it he is holding out for about $5500.

AKBeemer

The video of the bar fight is on U-tube.
you were holding your own until the end. That is when Sarah Palin kidnapped you to live and work in AK. Her theory is that if you are tough enough for a German saloon bar fight, then you you are tough enough to live, work, and ride among the wolves.

Makes sense to me.

I don't know for sure but the "Naranja" F650 was only made that year (rare?) and the farkles/mileage sound like the price is about right compared to the ones in the f650.com Chain gang classifieds. A lot of the guys on that forum are somewhat suspect of the new G650 Chinese single.

If you want it, negotiate the best deal you can and buy it. They are great bikes. What others think is not what matters.

NADA is always lower than Kelly Blue Book. NADA seems to be the bible when you want to trade in a bike or get a settlement from an insurance company. It certainly doesn't reflect what I've ever been able to buy a used bike for - except when it was a known "steal" deal for some reason - mechanical or otherwise.

Well we went ahead and bought it . It is in exceptional condition and well maintained. The key point is that my wife really likes it, especially the fact that she can get both feet firmly on the ground.
The most interesting thing though was when we went and got the title transferred the stater of PA said it was worth $3900. Good thing we only had to pay taxes on the actual selling price.

Back