• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

iPod Nano works with RTW audio system?

JBBLI

Never assuming anything that "sounds" like it should work when I can ask those with experience:

Does anyone know if an Apple iPod Nano plays nicely with the BMW audio system on a 2014+ RT? (I have a new 2016 RT). I assume I'm hunting for the audio cable that divides the Lightning connection to the Nano into the USB and 3.5mm stereo mini plug to the bike...

Never assuming anything that "sounds" like it should work when I can ask those with experience:

Does anyone know if an Apple iPod Nano plays nicely with the BMW audio system on a 2014+ RT? (I have a new 2016 RT). I assume I'm hunting for the audio cable that divides the Lightning connection to the Nano into the USB and 3.5mm stereo mini plug to the bike...

I do know it works, but it requires the over $100 special BMW cord plus a $35 lightning adapter. Then, it will work. Be careful trying to stuff everything into the right hand compartment.

In previous posts, I describe how to use a simple USB stick (use a fast USB3 one as it loads much faster when you start up the bike; cost me $35) and put your collection on it, MP3s only. Folder tree is the standard one iTunes uses so you can just copy your library and that should work.

Read your supplementary audio system manual too.

Works great. Just used the same trick on my new 2017 Subaru Outback with a second stick and it works the same way.

Also thought MP3 was way to go but 8 years of iTunes purchases leaves me in copy protection purgatory. Hence the Nano. Willing to be instructed otherwise...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also thought MP3 was way to go but 8 years of iTunes purchases leaves me in copy protection purgatory. Hence the Nano. Willing to be instructed otherwise...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just checked a song, a single, that I downloaded from iTunes. It's .mp3.

I thought iTunes relaxed some copy protection provisions, but I'm not an expert. Back in 2012, when going for my first ride to the west coast, my daughter bought some songs for me, they are .mp3 ... .

There are programs, Media Monkey is one, that can convert some formats to others I am not a big user of iTunes, but I have had to convert some files, I think from iTunes, to .MP3. You might ask some teenager - bet they are experts!

You can set iTunes on how to download your files. The apple standard is m4a. Just check your iTunes preferences and change to MP3. Also, copy protection only if your trying to move them to a library other than yours. I think iTunes did away with the burn to disc option when selecting songs, so the workaround for me is as follows......in iTunes I create a playlist called "whatever you want" and I copied my whole collection and weeded out the ones I didn't particularly care for. Then, you now have the option to burn playlist to disc. Once the playlist is on the stick, I delete it in iTunes for space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can set iTunes on how to download your files. The apple standard is m4a. Just check your iTunes preferences and change to MP3. Also, copy protection only if your trying to move them to a library other than yours. I think iTunes did away with the burn to disc option when selecting songs, so the workaround for me is as follows......in iTunes I create a playlist called "whatever you want" and I copied my whole collection and weeded out the ones I didn't particularly care for. Then, you now have the option to burn playlist to disc. Once the playlist is on the stick, I delete it in iTunes for space.

Many thanks, I will give that a shot.

Thanks for reminding me about .m4a - I did not yet change the default so I have had to find those and convert to .mp3 files. Will change my default.

New BMW lightning cable works with RT audio system and Nano

OP here, the experiment (never really in doubt...) has been completed. My (bike-dedicated) iPod Nano lives in its right side cave, attached to RT audio system with a BMW cable that splits Lightning to USB and stereo mini (no Lightning adapter needed). It took a few seconds on first link up to read the iPod Nano library, but now works instant on when I select that source as long as I haven't synced new files to the iPod.

As a more general comment, I am generally pleased with the audio system on the RT including the Sirius feed, the FM radio, and the iPod. After reading some of the more critical posts on this and other forums I was expecting intolerable static on all fronts - not so! I'm not saying we have tube-quality warmth mind you, just some very pleasant music to go along with a very pleasant ride.

Back