• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Installing Hyper-Lites on a 2010 R1200RT

D

D-Mac

Hi everyone,

I've seen a lot of discussion on the forum about various kits that give you extra lighting on the rear of the RT. It seems like there are several good options for BMWs, including Hyper-Lites, P3s, or the BMW kit. There is also a lot of speculation about how these work, how hard they are to install, and how they work with CANBUS. One thing is pretty clear - having extra light can only help make us more visible.

If you're an electrical noob like me, you probably want detailed instructions, or at least some confidence that these things actually work. With a lot of help on this forum, I've managed to install driving/fog lights, HID lights, a couple of GPSs, and a fuseblock. None of it was hard.

So today a set of Hyper-Lites arrived in my mailbox. These are made in Michigan (in a place only 40 minutes from my house), so I thought I'd give them a shot. So here goes. Let's get these things installed!

Tools needed: Good set of wire strippers (to strip 18 and 20 gauge wires), good Philips screwdriver, a few zip ties, and THAT'S IT. Everything else is included with the kit.

Degree of difficulty = 2/10. These are very simple to install. The only "tricky" part is finding a source of switched power. There are lots of places to get that from (park light, ZFE GPS plug, alarm plug, etc.) A quick search through the forum will yield lots of good threads about doing this. In my case, I already have switched power on a fuseblock, so it was even easier.

Here is the package. I ordered the set of 16 LEDS and a bracket to mount them to the license plate.
aIMG_0441.jpg

A closer look at the kit. Note that each bank of LED lights has two wires running from it. BLUE and BROWN. The small black box is a control box for the unit. The lights are sealed and look very weather-resistant.
bIMG_0443.jpg

More about the control box. This little box has 5 wires coming from it. BLUE, BROWN, RED, GREY. There is also a GREEN loop. We don't need to touch the green, but the others will be connected by the time we're done.
cIMG_0450.jpg

Start by removing the cover over the tail/brake lights. On my RT these are held on by two Phillips screws on the back-side of the cover (the screws face the front of the bike). Remove the side-cases to make it easier to access these screws. Be sure to use a good Phillips #2 screwdriver so you don't accidentally strip them. They're not on that tight, so it's pretty easy.

There is no particular order to this install, but let's start by connecting the various wires from the control box. You should obviously disconnect power before hooking anything up to your bike. As always, you bear full responsibility for whatever happens to you.

There are two wires on the RT that run to the brake+tail lights. One is Brown and the other is Gray (with a little stripe on it). You can see these wires in the next photo. Like basically everywhere on the RT, the brown wire is a ground. Newer RTs (like my 2010) use the grey (with black striped) wire to power both the tail/brake lights (great when CANBUS works, but you'll lose both the brake and tail lights is CANBUS crashes or if this little wire ever breaks). To signal the Hyper-Lites, we need to tap into the BMW grey-black striped wire. This gives the control box a signal that your tail or brake lights are on. This wire is not used to power the hyper-lites. On my kit, you connect the RED wire from the Hyper-Lite control box into the BMW gray-striped wire. The kit includes a Posi-tap connector to do this, and it works well. Below you can see where I tapped into the BMW wire with the RED Hyper-Lite wire. Instructions on using the Posi-tap connector are included and it's easy if you've never done it.
eIMG_0453.jpg

Next, you have a choice. You can connect the BLACK wire from the control box to the BMW brown taillight wire (a ground) by tapping in to it as described above, or you can connect the BLACK wire to any other ground on the bike. I already have a fuseblock on my bike, so I ran the Hyper-Lite ground wire into a ground on the block (you'll see this in the next pic).

You then connect the Hyper-Lite GREY wire to a positive power source. This obviously has to be a switched source of power so the lights don't stay on constantly and burn out your battery. On my fuseblock, I have several "switched" outlets, so I simply connected the GREY control box wire into the + side of my fuseblock. Again, you can use any switched source on the bike. Many folks run a wire from the park light, or from the headlight connector (P3 instructions explain this process; the wires on the P3 are the same as Hyper-lites other than simply being different colors). I like the GPS connector on the front of the bike as a switched power source. It means that all of my switched devices stay on for about 30 seconds after the bike is turned off, but that's fine (I kind of like it, since it gives me time to decide if I want things like my GPS to stay on). So my Hyper-Lites stay on for several seconds after my bike it shut off.

Anyway, you can see here how the GREY and BLACK wires from the control box are connected to my fuseblock.
dIMG_0449.jpg

You're almost done! All that's left is to connect each Hyper-light to the central control box and then install the lights. This couldn't be easier. Simply connect the BLUE wires from each light to the BLUE wire from the control box. You strip the ends, twist them a little, and use the included Posi-lock connector to attach them together. You could also solder them if you prefer. Next, you connect the BROWN Hyper-Lite wires from each light to the BROWN wire from the control box.
iIMG_0452.jpg

The Hyper-Lite backet is very nice and installs easily. I mounted mine to the bottom of my license plate bracket (remove the plate to access the bottom pair of screws). The lights attach to the bracket with strong tape. I ran the wires from the lights behind the license plate and through the small hole in the rear fender. The wires then run up and into the stock tail-light are and into the back of the bike. It's easy and no holes need to be drilled. Here you can see where the wires come out from under the license plate and goes behind the fender. It's very obvious when you're looking at it in person.
gIMG_0454.jpg

hIMG_0455.jpg

Lastly, I installed a fuse on the fuseblock. A 2 amp fuse is plenty (these lights draw very little power). If you are plugging into a BMW power source directly, you won't need a fuse (as any fuseblock, mine draws power directly from the battery).

Before buttoning everything up I zip-tied the wires to make it neat. The control box also has a piece of 2-sided tape on it, so you can secure it that way too (There is loads of space under the rear seat for everything it fit nicely).

Finished! This is a pic of the taillight only. When you press the brake light, things get very bright! I didn't order any of the flashing brake options, but both P3 and Hyper-lites come in several types if you want to garner even more attention.
jIMG_0463.jpg

The instructions are good, but if you have any questions with Hyper-Lites, you can always call Ron at the company. He's super-friendly, and can talk you through pretty much anything. He's also a BMW rider and BMW-MOA member.

So your wiring goes through the mud flap and up through the back seat area. In between the mud flap and the entry point to the rear seat do you have a length of wire exposed in the rear tire wheel well? I am getting ready to do the same install and have encased the length of the Hyper-Lite wiring in heat shrink, I also have a grommet for it to pass thru on the mud flap, but once the hole is drilled there is no turning back. I am concerned about having the wire exposed in the wheel well ( even if it has two layers of heat shrink tubing on it), but it certainly makes a cleaner and more tamper resistant install. Any feed back would be appreciated.

-Dennis

So your wiring goes through the mud flap and up through the back seat area. In between the mud flap and the entry point to the rear seat do you have a length of wire exposed in the rear tire wheel well? I am getting ready to do the same install and have encased the length of the Hyper-Lite wiring in heat shrink, I also have a grommet for it to pass thru on the mud flap, but once the hole is drilled there is no turning back. I am concerned about having the wire exposed in the wheel well ( even if it has two layers of heat shrink tubing on it), but it certainly makes a cleaner and more tamper resistant install. Any feed back would be appreciated.

-Dennis

You are correct. I do have a short length of wire exposed in the wheel well. I'm not crazy about it either, but short of kicking up a rock, it's unlikely be damaged (it will get wet though, so I think the heat shrink is excellent idea - I didn't even do that). Same with a grommet to take the pressure off where the wire passes through the flap.

I'll probably wrap the exposed wire in e-tape for now and see how it holds up. 1500 miles in and the lights are working great!

This worked for me:

I drilled a 1/8" hole just below the taillight assembly into its cavity, and above the fender liner...made my switch and ground connections there as well.

Life is too short to sweat the small stuff...

..or...bigger stuff comes being exposed to the inside the fender well:cry

...guess.. whatever works??

Sorted the wiring out

Just below the seat lock is a horizontal reflector above the license plate. Just below the reflector and under the lock is a lip you could almost lift up on with the tips of your fingers. I drilled a hole upward on this lip toward the lock cylinder just left of center. I then put a rubber grommet the hole followed by the wiring for the Hyper-lites which was already encased in heat shrink tubing. As you pass the tubing up through the grommet it passes to riders left and up into the seat cavity just forward of a weep hole. The bonus with routing it this way is the lip should prevent direct hits by gravel hitting the wiring. When you button everything up the bracket for the Hyper-lites hides the wire. If you look under the mud flap you'll be hard pressed to find the wire.

I purchased the 16 LED Hyper-lites. Had my wife come check them out and she had to squint when I fired them up. Wish I had purchased them a long time ago.

Next will be the Motolights to build my triangle of light up front.

-Dennis

A piece of comparative info

Hyperlights are indeed quite bright when view from the rear- the direction their leds are aimed. However, their apparent brightness falls off significantly as you get off the directly behind axis. Hyperlights have a relatively long flashing period before going solid.

The BMW accessory light's red lens is designed to more normal automotive specs and maintains perceived brightness at much wider angles. The BMW light has a much shorter period of faster flashes before going solid.

The Skene P3 is a slightly larger led strip than the Hyperlights and has the twinkle modulator effect added. Its apparent area is a little bigger than Hyperlights.

No need to choose just 1, though. I run the 16 LED Hyperlights and the BMW light on the back of my RT. (and Photon Blasters, a pair of small HIDs, and a set of FF50s wth 65W Osram bulbs on the front).

Last edited:
racer7.. good points I did not consider. I will say that Hyper-lites does have a new 16 LED version, double the output of the originals (Those are the ones I went with). I dislike that they are not as bright to the left or right, but on the other hand that may save me from winning an award.

Both of these firms should consider adding a diffusing lens to these add on modules, I would not think it would be that difficult.

Back