• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Information requested on Jesse Challenger panniers on r1200GS/GSA (2013 or later)

elcphd

:scratch
I plan to install Al Jesse panniers on an R1200GSw (2013) and will also mount a custom-built platform on the pillion/rear rack area for transporting my trusty K-9. In order to move forward with construction on the K-9 platform, I need the distance measure between the vertical inboard side panels of a pair of Jesse panniers (in CM or inches) to be sure that the lids on the panniers, when raised, will clear the outer rails of the K-9 rack situated above. The panniers are back-ordered and delivery is not expected for 7-10 weeks, so I cannot take the measures directly until they arrive. If possible, I would like the K-9 rack build to proceed concurrently, rather than waiting until the panniers arrive to obtain this clearance measure. If anyone has a 2013 or later R1200GS, R1200GSA, R1250GS, or GSA and the Jesse Challenger panniers mounted on it and can tell me the approximate distance between the inner walls of those panniers, I would be most obliged! Cheers to all. Eric

Measurements

:scratch
I plan to install Al Jesse panniers on an R1200GSw (2013) and will also mount a custom-built platform on the pillion/rear rack area for transporting my trusty K-9. In order to move forward with construction on the K-9 platform, I need the distance measure between the vertical inboard side panels of a pair of Jesse panniers (in CM or inches) to be sure that the lids on the panniers, when raised, will clear the outer rails of the K-9 rack situated above. The panniers are back-ordered and delivery is not expected for 7-10 weeks, so I cannot take the measures directly until they arrive. If possible, I would like the K-9 rack build to proceed concurrently, rather than waiting until the panniers arrive to obtain this clearance measure. If anyone has a 2013 or later R1200GS, R1200GSA, R1250GS, or GSA and the Jesse Challenger panniers mounted on it and can tell me the approximate distance between the inner walls of those panniers, I would be most obliged! Cheers to all. Eric

I have Jesse's on my 2016 GSA. Take a picture and show me the measurements you want and I'll send them to you.

Jerry

Pics

Hope these help.

Jerry

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 92
Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't ELC looking for this number...?
panniers.jpg

Doctor Eric, can you confirm please?

From Jerry's first photo, I'm guessing that it's "about" 10 inches...

Last edited:
Many thanks!

I have Jesse's on my 2016 GSA. Take a picture and show me the measurements you want and I'll send them to you.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your two replies including the detailed photos. When I posted the inquiry in April, the estimated shipping date for the Jesse panniers seemed like a distant temporal horizon. As it turned out, the panniers arrived long before the K9 rack build could be started so I simply installed the panniers when they arrived and then sent the specs to the K9 rack builder. I am still waiting for the rack but am happy with the Jesse panniers!

I owe you a debt of gratitude and an apology. I was on the road/offline for a few weeks so I just saw your note a couple of days ago. Sorry I did not reply sooner as it would have saved you the time and trouble of taking all of those photos. I have many friends who were at University in Kalamazoo. If you are ever in Ventura, look me up and stop by for a cold beer (or whatever you're drinking); I am listed in MOA Anonymous.

Cheers,

Eric

Last edited:
That does show the critical dimension i needed!

Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't ELC looking for this number...?
View attachment 92832

Doctor Eric, can you confirm please?

From Jerry's first photo, I'm guessing that it's "about" 10 inches...

Hi Paul, Thanks, your diagram is elegant and is what I should have used to request the measures, instead of my convoluted written description!

As it turned out, the panniers arrived well before the K9 rack build could get started so I was able to provide empirical measures for my bike. The inboard pannier walls, as installed, are almost exactly 15 inches apart and well over 16 where the lids swing up and away at the projected level of the base of the K9 rack. This is plenty wide for my 85 lb Malinois/G Shepherd mix, so now waiting for the rack to get built/shipped.

If ever up north of LA and passing through Ventura don't hesitate to stop by for coffee (or beer). I'm within spitting distance of the "West end"/ Main St. restaurants and bars. Cheers!

Rack

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your two replies including the detailed photos. When I posted the inquiry in April, the estimated shipping date for the Jesse panniers seemed like a distant temporal horizon. As it turned out, the panniers arrived long before the K9 rack build could be started so I simply installed the panniers when they arrived and then sent the specs to the K9 rack builder. I am still waiting for the rack but am happy with the Jesse panniers!

I owe you a debt of gratitude and an apology. I was on the road/offline for a few weeks so I just saw your note a couple of days ago. Sorry I did not reply sooner as it would have saved you the time and trouble of taking all of those photos. I have many friends who were at University in Kalamazoo. If you are ever in Ventura, look me up and stop by for a cold beer (or whatever you're drinking); I am listed in MOA Anonymous.

Cheers,

Eric

Hi Eric,
No worries! Glad it worked out. How did the rack turn out for you?
Jerry

That sounds like a WONDERFUL dog! ... My last entry in the Jokes section is truth (and I get to pet a lot of them!)...

Back