• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ICON Helmet coming;

Polarbear

Polarbear
Variant model ICON sure seems a cool lid for my next buy, so I have ordered it already for my 3X head! Not many helmet folk make 3X anymore, a few do and ICON is one I just sent off for. MY BMW dealer sells them and I like what I saw and did try the 2X on in showroom, but a head pincher therefore 3X on its way:). My current ARAI XD has been great in 2X, but had thin padding as an option from ARAI. Not made anymore(thin cheek pads) and wore well for years, still my backup helmet. $300+ for the ICONs and sure look well made. My new one will be all white to match my Polarbear GSA1200:). Hi VIZ yellow,orange red and silver are optional colors. More when I get it and with a few miles added! The Variant ICON is a dirt oriented/GS dual sport looking lid with duck bill and bubble shield. Later, Randy:thumb

I picked up the same helmet in June of this year and have done about 15,000 miles with it.
Really like the fit and comfort of the lid - can't find any fault.
But the faceshield does not lock when down and always seems to ride up a bit from wind, etc. Really sucks when riding in rain.
Still, I'd probably buy another one.

Good;

My friend works at BMW Dealer says the helmet is really good, as he owns one for his adventure riding. My ARAI AD has been really good, but figured the size issue and $$$ saved will do me well, as I pick ICON this time. I had not heard the face shield item you mention, not staying down. We'll see for sure very soon. Randy:thumb

Got it:):):)

Wore the new ICON Variant and coming from my ARAI XD, which was a very fine one, this new ICON is a WOW good:). Certainly equal to the ARAI so far in comfort and quality looking. I have only got 150miles with it on so far, but like an old friend already, with no issues. The shield stays put with mine and I ride behind a GSA1200 windscreen, so no real wind issue here. LOVE the new style bubble shield, quite a change of look from flat shields and it works well for my liking. I got the plain all white one at 320$ at BMW Dealer. The fancy ones go at 399$, high viz and so on. In my 50 years riding, I've had 2 helmets that fit WELL(perfect) from the start; ARAI XDand this new ICON Variant, requiring no breakin and comfy at getgo:). The ICON is a Korean made unit and not much else known about its origin. Well, guess its with me the next few years:). ICON website is an easy find, via Google:)...ICON Variant, a GS/GSA kind a helmet, dirtbiker oriented look. Randy:thumb:usa

Icon helmets are made by J-Tech corp in Korea, which is owned by HJC. FYI.

Thanks;

Did not know HJC was related and my last modular helmet was a HJC, which did fine too(comfy enough). The modular helmets however are not as dirt biker friendly I thought and wore it out quickly. Got tired of that flip and no visor. And, dropping it from the back of my pickup, shortened its life:(. I am glad somebody like HJC/Icon still make my size helmet, 3X:) and thankful to have found something NOT made in China:)...! Randy:thumb:thumb

..... The shield stays put with mine and I ride behind a GSA1200 windscreen, so no real wind issue here.....usa

It comes into play a bit later, after the shield and posts that the shield rides on, become worn a bit. Damned thing won't stay closed to save it's life.
I also ride behind a screen and it doesn't help at all. Thing still pops open about 1/2" and stays there.

Switching to a new shield cures the problem for a couple of weeks and then it comes right back.

Liek I said tho - I'd still buy another one as it's not that big of a deal.

Well thanks, I'll keep watch;

Riding with it now for a week or so, its very comfy indeed. The shield is still fine and i will watch for what you say in the shield thingy. My dealer did say a changeout of the shield is kind of a pain to do, not readily easy task. I do not change'em out ever, if they stay scratch free. I know this new one's shield works very freely(adjusts) and the tabs may indeed be a weak link. Helmet, a keeper for me:), first impression. Randy

FYI, Arai;

My Arai XD, very pricey NICE helmet I rode with for years and still do as a backup to my new ICON, had the same issue! Shield tabs/adjusts were never right? The Arai shield would NOT stay all the way UP, if needed! Velcro made the Arai work for me, in the all up position:). Not for our ICON issue however. I do like the new style bubble shield and FOG free:)...We'll see...Randy

Back