• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I need a Garmin

mikeb921

My recently purchased used R1200ST came prewired with a bracket for a Garmin 26XX, 27XX, or 28XX Garmin. If someone got a more modern GPS for Christmas, I'd like to talk to you about purchasing your no longer needed unit. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Ride Safe
Rideoften

You can pick up a refurbished 2610 with a full year warranty and the latest software for ~$200

I got a 2610 on ebay for $122.50 including shipping. Seller had good feedback. I have not received it yet, but UPS says I will get it on January 2nd. Seller claims it is a refurbished unit with a 1-year Garmin warranty. I will let you know how it goes.

What I have been told in conversations with Garmin customer service is that they will not register a unit in your name unless the previous owner has released their registration. The registration can be released with a phone call to Garmin. Even if there is no warranty, this is important because registration is required to download updates. Having a copy of the map software with unlock codes is also important, since the interface between the computer and the GPS is not included in the updates. The version of the map software is not that important if you are planning to download an update ($75). If you have to buy the full software package it is almost double the cost.

I also got a 2 GB compact flash card so that I can hold all of the North America maps(though I rarely get out of my corner of the state). It was $24 on ebay including shipping. I got the locking motorcycle mounting bracket on Amazon for another $35 including shipping.

I am currently fabricating some barbacks (I have not been able to find any that I like) that will incorporate a mount for the GPS unit. The mounting system will be based on Jeff488's setup.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=22206

In all, I will have a little over $250 invested and should have a custom airhead GPS with the latest and greatest maps. Then I need to figure out how to get some time off so I can ride into the unknown and justify the purchase!:bluduh At least I will be able to determine my speedometer error and stop reseting the trip odometer every time I get gas.:)

I got a 2610 on ebay for $122.50 including shipping. Seller had good feedback. I have not received it yet, but UPS says I will get it on January 2nd. Seller claims it is a refurbished unit with a 1-year Garmin warranty. I will let you know how it goes.

What I have been told in conversations with Garmin customer service is that they will not register a unit in your name unless the previous owner has released their registration. The registration can be released with a phone call to Garmin. Even if there is no warranty, this is important because registration is required to download updates. Having a copy of the map software with unlock codes is also important, since the interface between the computer and the GPS is not included in the updates. The version of the map software is not that important if you are planning to download an update ($75). If you have to buy the full software package it is almost double the cost.

I also got a 2 GB compact flash card so that I can hold all of the North America maps(though I rarely get out of my corner of the state). It was $24 on ebay including shipping. I got the locking motorcycle mounting bracket on Amazon for another $35 including shipping.

I am currently fabricating some barbacks (I have not been able to find any that I like) that will incorporate a mount for the GPS unit. The mounting system will be based on Jeff488's setup.

In all, I will have a little over $250 invested and should have a custom airhead GPS with the latest and greatest maps. Then I need to figure out how to get some time off so I can ride into the unknown and justify the purchase!:bluduh At least I will be able to determine my speedometer error and stop reseting the trip odometer every time I get gas.:)

Sounds great, and a good deal on ebay.
FYI, the trim I used on mine is just some electric cable insulation that was slit lengthwise and glued in place. Sort of makes it look finished.
Don't forget the pix:wave

Same route for me via fleabay

& got the 2G card for 19.99 at Costco.

Update

I received the Garmin 2610 today. It looked like a brand new unit, including all the internal packaging. The manual and Mapdisk were still in sealed cardboard sleeves that had to be torn open for use. It came with version 7, which was acceptable for me. I will update in a year or two. It came with all factory paperwork including unlock code, registration code and serial number. I was able to register the unit with Garmin without any problem. I am very happy with the whole process. Now to get the unit installed. I'll be testing it (in the car) on a family trip to North Carolina tomorrow.

The seller on eBay that I purchased from was emilyandlily. They have 10 units listed now. Most are Buy it Now priced at $169, but one is an auction. I have no connection with the seller, but I said I would let folks know how the purchase came out.

I'll get some pictures posted once I install the unit on the bike.

Last edited:
Back