• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

how much louder is Akrapovic

1wingnut

I'm strongly considering the Akrapovic slip on muffler for my 2015 r1200rt.
Question:How much louder is this set up on this bike while cruising along at steading speeds, both with and without baffle installed? I do some very long trips and don't want anything obnoxious while cruising, but would welcome better sound when on the throttle. Normal I listen to music with my sena helmet speakers
Please don't reply about your experience with other exhaust or other bikes.
Thanks Dan

I'd be happy to provide a serious and informed response to your question, Dan.

I got the exhaust in the middle of last summer. This version has no readily removable baffle - it appears that they did away with that. While cruising along at steady speeds, it is no louder than stock. Pretty much can't hear it. I wear plugs under a Schuberth C3. It does, however, provide a "better" sound on the throttle - more articulate, if you will. It really is never what I would consider loud. Tasteful. Based on your post, I think you'd be pleased.

It also looks way, way better than the giant chrome exhaust, IMO. I'm glad I did it.

Here's the Akrapovic in action. Forgot to mention that my bike is a 2016.

Attachments

• 8665094-129Slayer.jpg
    8665094-129Slayer.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 222
I installed one (the one from Akrapovic not BMW) back in December. There was the lightest of tack welds holding the baffle securing screw in place that was easily overcome with a small wrench. Without the baffle it is considerably louder than stock (even at idle) but not outrageous. I ran it for a few weeks with the baffle out and then decided to put it back in to see if I liked that better. I'm still evaluating this since the weather here hasn't been very amenable to riding the past two to three weeks. With the baffle in the sound is still deeper than stock but not quite what you get without it. I would say that at speed, it's no more distracting that stock either (again, baffle in). At speed with the baffle out, it's certainly noticeable but again, I didn't think it was obnoxious. I do know loud though and this isn't close to what my Magna sounds like with its current Vance & Hines and even further away from the Jardine Drags that were on it originally (truly wake the dead loud). All in all, I'm happy with the Akrapovic ... no buyer's remorse at all. It does look a lot better on the bike too.

IMG_2417.jpgIMG_2418.jpg

I'm strongly considering the Akrapovic slip on muffler for my 2015 r1200rt.
Question:How much louder is this set up on this bike while cruising along at steading speeds, both with and without baffle installed? I do some very long trips and don't want anything obnoxious while cruising, but would welcome better sound when on the throttle. Normal I listen to music with my sena helmet speakers
Please don't reply about your experience with other exhaust or other bikes.
Thanks Dan

There have been a few good threads on the Akrapovic change. They are popular with a number of brands.
Through the “Tag Cloud”, I found this one- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?87672-Remapping-when-adding-Akrapovic-exhaust-tip
It’s nice to know your bike is running :)
OM

Thanks for the great replies. Pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on one. Now I just need to convince the" wife to be"that I really need to spend the money on something for slightly more power and better sound, on a bike that already has enough power to scare the hell out of her:) Dan

Back