• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Harvest Classic Rally - Luckenbach, TX

MCRyder

Journeyed to the Harvest Classic European & Vintage Motorcycle Rally held in Luckenback, TX last weekend, Oct. 21-23. Rode my BMW K11RS, which I think was the only model there. The Vintage show had a couple of Beemers present, I remember an R27 on display. Good number of Beemers riders in attendance, including a couple hacks. Lotsa Triumphs, Nortons, Guzzi present. Saw 2 Laverda RGS 1000's (both red), seen photos but never in person, nice! Spoke to the owner of one, he got his outta CT, only 5800 miles on the odometer, very clean. He was quite proud and excited by his new ride, can't blame him. Kinda had a Beemer quality to it with the fairing. Coolest bike was a Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, black and a double leading front drum brake. I get dizzy at shows like this, so much iron to stare at :hungover .

Finally made it to the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum. If you're ever within a hundred miles of Vanderpool, TX take the time to ride on over. The owner is a true motorcyclist enthusiast (Australian I believe) and has some wonderful vintage motorcycles on display, both full restored and road used. He races in vintage class and has taken some high finishes. One of his bikes is a Norton Manx he campaigns. His taste is wide ranging, British, Italian, German, American. It was a well spent $5 and I got the t-shirt. Here's the web site: http://lonestarmotorcyclemuseum.com/ for your viewing pleasure. Some of the best roads in the Texas Hill Country converge near his place. I explored some I hadn't been on before, a couple were of the YEEHAA! kind, hadda lotta fun out there.

Like all good things, this one had to come to an end. Left for home Sunday. The weather thus far had been great, very cool in the mornings and evenings and getting to the low 70's by midday and clear skies. Great for riding and camping. Unfortunately the weather turned a little bitter on the way home. About an hour into the ride the wind started blowing in from the north, it stood at about 30-35 MPH and was COLD. I was headed due east and so had to fight it the rest of the way home. My left side was sore the next day from the muscular exertion of leaning the KRS into the wind and from the cold. But I got home safely, something I am always thankful for. All in all I covered about 850 miles over the weekend. I really like the KRS for these one-up tours. For me it's comfortable for 300+ mile days and it's a great sport tour mount, and both the sport and tour stuff was in good supply on this trip. Of course, once again, I want to move outta East Texas and down to the Hill Country. It's the roads, the small towns, the atmosphere, the clear creeks that run through the area, the roads (oh yeah, covered that :laugh ). It's a paradise for Lone Star riders.

What a fun trip! Thanks for sharing it with us.

We'll have to visit that museum next time we get down that way.

If I can quit sMiling on the roads!

Voni
sMiling

My digital camera is broken, had to take the disposable camera that still has undeveloped photos from the Lima MOA Rally. But here's a site from a fellow attendee that has some great shots from the rally, including the Moto Guzzi V7 Sport that I mentioned:

http://cyclecat.smugmug.com/gallery/908961

Voni you and Paul need to come down and spend some Lone Star time in the Hill Country, that's where some of Texas's finest curvy asphalt is, the museum is the cherry on the banana split. Be sure to stop in Medina and try some apple pie at the Love Creek Orchards cafe.

Back