• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS 911 connector conundrum 2015 R1200 RT

landev

I recently purchased a very low mileage 2015 R1200RT. This bike is the sibling of my 2015 R1200RTWA that I bought new. The bike's service light was on when I purchased it and thought I'd just turn it off when I arrived home. I attempted to connect my GS911 to the RT and couldn't get it to mate with the bike's data connector. After lots of twisting and cursing, I decided to photograph the connector and compare it with those on my GSWR and my R1150RS... both of which connect just fine. The GSWA and RS connectors look like the standard:
index.png

The photo I took of the RT's connector looks like this crappy photo:
rt.jpg

In short, the bikes that easily connect to the GS911 have "keying tabs" that point to pins 1, 9, and 5. My RT's connector's "keying tabs" point to pins 1, 9, and 8. In short, there's no way in hell I can connect the GS911 to this bike's connector (as it is!)

Has anyone ever seen this before and, if so, were you able to get around this issue?

It's always somethin'!

Thanks in advance!

-l-

Question-
Are you trying to connect to a similar plug under the seat?
It would be toward the rear and is a connector for the powered top case.

The only Diagnostic connector for the WetHead is on the RH side near the battery just to be clear.

Hope I didn't offend if you already knew this.

Nope... I didn't know that!

The only connector I could find was back behind the satellite radio receiver. On my GSA, the connector is on the right hand side behind a plastic cover held down with a torx screw. On this bike, there are also plastic covers on both sides that are held in by a ball and grommet affair. I pulled these off first and found no connector so went back below the pillion seat. It would make sense that that connector was for the high tech topcase! I take it I have to pull off more Tupperware to get to the data connector?

Thanks!

Ahhh....

Thanks Boxflyer and 20774. Dunno why I thought that there would be only one round 10 pin connector on this scooter! Man... it's no wonder I've no hair left!

I'll start digging under the plastic in a bit to look for "the real deal" connector (gotta go spray weeds first! (blech!))

Will report back once I successfully find the bugger!

Thanks again!

-l-

On my RS it's clipped in on the right side under a panel.
The connector has a cover so it my not be noticeable to you.

GS911 (2).jpg

Thanks Lee!

Looks like the location on the newer RS is similar to that on the GSWA. My hopes were that it would be just behind the "snap out" cover aft of the faring. Nope. Looks like I need to pull the faring. I wish that the designers of the wiring harnesses for the newer bikes would extend things a bit and make the connectors more easily accessible! My 2002's is easily accessible by pulling the seat... no tools needed. The 2015 GSWA's is fairly easy... just a torx needed for a single screw.

If I were king, things would be different!

I'll be digging into this tomorrow...

Thank you for the photo!

...somebody confirm that; "Shirley'ya don't have'ta pull the farin"!!!

I'll Recommend reading the thread attch. to post #3 above. And look again on the side and tucked in well beside the battery.

Hope you have the correct color GS911; good luck with new bike.

...somebody confirm that; "Shirley'ya don't have'ta pull the farin"!!!

I'll Recommend reading the thread attch. to post #3 above. And look again on the side and tucked in well beside the battery.

Hope you have the correct color GS911; good luck with new bike.

Here's the picture from that thread. Same location as my RS.
In the picture the connector has been removed from the clip and cover removed.

2014R1200RT_LC_diagnosticPlug.jpg

Got it!

Thanks all for your help! Frame-wise, the connector is in the exact same location as it is on the gswa... sidled in forward of the battery. There are just a couple of screws holding in the lower faring panel. Piece of cake. The main feat was realizing that the 10-pin connector aft is for connecting the top case!

Service interval reset!

Thanks again!

-l-

Back