• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Good "safety" books

BCKRider

Kbiker
If you are one of those people who can learn by reading, then practice what the author preaches, my top two recommendations are by David L. Hough: Proficient Motorcycling, and More Proficient Motorcycling. I think you can skip Street Strategies, because it is all in the other two books.

"Riding in the Zone" by Ken Condon (who took over for Hough at MCN) and "Stain' Safe", a compilation of articles that Lawrence Grodsky wrote for "Rider" magazine are, in opinion, both excellent.

Lee Parks book "Total Control"has some valuable info for street riders, especially about moderate "hanging off" where you have no intention of scraping your knees. "Ride Hard, Ride Safe" by Pat Hahn was, in my opinion, almost devoid of any ideas you could not have gotten from the recommended books.

Welcome other book reviews on the topic of "motorcyle safety" by those of you more widely read than I.

Looks like you are covered all the bases in the major leagues. But there is nothing like hands on training and there is still time to sign up for the experienced rider course if you are attending the National Rally.

This course is taught by very experience rider/coaches and is sponsored by the MOA Foundation.

Best,

Paul

Another good book is "Motorcycling Excellance" published by the MSF. The book shows all the details of both the BRC and ERC programs, with a LOT more detail and great info on bike stability and traction management. A lot of the diagrams look like those in the David Hough books, because his input on the MSF program is substantial, and is the basis for much of the MSF training.

Back