• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gonna bid on 2016 or 17 r1200rt-p - Qs re luggage etc

jimnto

Next week I plan to bid on a 206 or 2017 R1200rt-p(olice) bike. I understand that these bikes don't need to be split in two for clutch maintenance and also they don't have the ESA - so to me that means less expensive maintenance. (this info was taken from BMW advertising BMW for the police)

But I am finding no aftermarket luggage (bikes are interceptors with no luggage) and mounting hardware - I guess because the r1200rt comes with it's own luggage (duh!) Are there *ANY* aftermarket luggage and mounts for R1200rt?

And no used conversion parts (no grab bars, no rear deck and fender as well as no luggage) so converting it to a passenger bike is going to require $$$ or I am thinking of Pelican luggage or some other and having mounts fabricated.

At the end of day I may end up with an r1200rt for solo riding.

Anyone have ideas? Thoughts? Many folk suggest this is a bad idea - buying an abused bike and having to spend money on expensive parts. But do people like this idea?

Cheers

A few years back, the dealer in Greensboro NC would convert the police bikes for sale. The parts required ran around $1200-$1500, if I remember correctly. No promises there.
I would buy the bike, but only if I planned to ride it in its current configuration. There are too many used RTs out there without the hassle and expense.

Doug

A few years back, the dealer in Greensboro NC would convert the police bikes for sale. The parts required ran around $1200-$1500, if I remember correctly. No promises there.
I would buy the bike, but only if I planned to ride it in its current configuration. There are too many used RTs out there without the hassle and expense.

Doug

Agree. It’s not worth the time and money to try and fit some luggage. I’ve owned two RT-Ps, and have not heard of am “interceptor” with no side cases. If you desire luggage, there’s always ones with the side cases available at auctions.

I found an auction site - and the selling price of 4-5 year old RT-Ps was less than $5k USD that is 1/3 or less than market prices on similar RT-Ps

I appreciate the buying advice - but could I ask (more directly) for advice and ideas on the conversion?

Agree. It’s not worth the time and money to try and fit some luggage. I’ve owned two RT-Ps, and have not heard of am “interceptor” with no side cases. If you desire luggage, there’s always ones with the side cases available at auctions.

I appreciate the buying advice - but could I ask (more directly) for advice and ideas on the conversion?

Ask away. You may still get stray opinions on air pressure or paint colors but hopefully somebody can answer your real questions. :)

I found an auction site - and the selling price of 4-5 year old RT-Ps was less than $5k USD that is 1/3 or less than market prices on similar RT-Ps

A quick Google search "convert bmw r1200rtp to bmw r1200rt" yielded this result as well as numerous videos and links to other forums asking and answering the same question you have presented. If you use Max BMW's kit for seat, mounts and cases, the parts price is just under $3000.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/PartsDetails.aspx?source=catalog&diagram=FA_R12RTSEAT

I hope this helps.

Doug

Great link - info to have re: conversion

A quick Google search "convert bmw r1200rtp to bmw r1200rt" yielded this result as well as numerous videos and links to other forums asking and answering the same question you have presented. If you use Max BMW's kit for seat, mounts and cases, the parts price is just under $3000.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/PartsDetails.aspx?source=catalog&diagram=FA_R12RTSEAT

I hope this helps.

Doug

Yes thank you - I saw Max' conversion kit for the previous generation - I asked them about >2014 but they said no call for it yet but a good resource.

Maybe this thread is redundant. I was hoping to get input on people who have found alternative sources or done DIY aftermarket mods. Like I was thinking Pelican cases etc. I am trying to find a way around spending all that money but thats what it is isn't it.

Oh well i sure appreciate the feedback.

@jimnto I have a 2015 RT-P that I ride one-up and have done some mods to it but left it a one-seater. PM me if you want any details.

Back