• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ghost towns and gulches...

michaellmcc

New Mexico! As the t-shirt says, it ain?t ?New? and it ain?t ?Mexico?. But whatever you call it, the western part of the state is a fantastic place for exploring on a dual-sport bike.

I spent a few days looking for ghost towns, most of which were down dirt roads, earlier this month. Many interesting and image-provoking names are part of the fabric of the region ? miners, Mogollon, ranchers, Apaches, Geronimo, Billy the Kid, the Cavalry, Chloride, Pinos Altos. Very interesting history lesson and great riding.

The link takes you to a few of the photos; due to popular demand, I even included some video footage. Thank goodness a friend mentioned the RAIN that swamped much of the Gila the week we had originally planned to go. It would have been a wash-out. As it turns out, I rode through a few of said wash-outs? the erosion and rocks that were moved around indicate some powerful forces at work. The Forest Service said ??you shouldn?t try to get to Mogollon??. But there were a few pick-ups and SUV?s coming and going, so it was obviously passable.

I only ?tumped over? once? thus re-learning the lesson about not stopping on a steep, uphill, unpaved road. A tourist had stopped, blocking the turn, right in a rough section where unpaved transitioned to semi-pavement. He wanted to know if it was OK to proceed. I said yes. He slowly went down the road. I tried to get rolling and fell over where there was no footing.

https://vimeo.com/110177605

Back