• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Garmin Posts NavV Map Upate

is it always a good idea to upgrade? Does the 5.2GB upgrade replace what I already have or does it add to it?

It must delete the old maps.
I've done 4 map updates on the Nav V without any problems and I think I have updated my Nuvi twice that.

It must delete the old maps.
I've done 4 map updates on the Nav V without any problems and I think I have updated my Nuvi twice that.

I like to also have the maps installed on my computer, it will add the new map you will be able to switch between maps if you like. This can be helpful if you are sharing routes with others, it's best to have the same map.

Jay

is it always a good idea to upgrade? Does the 5.2GB upgrade replace what I already have or does it add to it?

I have 2 Garmin units, so the large update size does pose a problem as it amounts to 2/5 of my monthly download allocation to do both. Still, I do try to update when new maps come out, even if there is no guarantee there will be any streets changed in my area.

If planning a long trip, I for sure would do an update.

It must be safer for Garmin to do a complete map set rather than attempt to "patch" with just the changes. They used to have massive problems with updates but the newer units all have a lot of memory and this seems to have eased the update process.

If you have problems do post here - a few of us are old hands at this.

If you load the maps to your computer, you can then use Basecamp to plot routes. At the top of the Gear forum, there are Basecamp tutorials that are highly recommended. Don't try to learn Basecamp without them unless you are really good with software. The tutorials are videos and do take a while to go through, but it"s worth it.

I have 2 Garmin units, so the large update size does pose a problem as it amounts to 2/5 of my monthly download allocation to do both...
Ed, have you tried downloading the update to your computer (using the option within Garmin Express) and then using that to update both units? Presumably that could result in halving your bandwidth usage.

I alway download to my computer so that the updated maps are available to BaseCamp, and it appears that updating my second GPS unit takes noticeably less time than doing the initial unit. Might be necessary to disconnect your internet connection after downloading to your computer, to test whether that actually works, don't know for sure.

Ed, have you tried downloading the update to your computer (using the option within Garmin Express) and then using that to update both units? Presumably that could result in halving your bandwidth usage.

I alway download to my computer so that the updated maps are available to BaseCamp, and it appears that updating my second GPS unit takes noticeably less time than doing the initial unit. Might be necessary to disconnect your internet connection after downloading to your computer, to test whether that actually works, don't know for sure.

I remember doing this a few years ago, but before Express, and have forgotten what I did. No matter, I use the laptop to update the Nav V and have Basecamp on it. I use the desktop to update the Nuvi for Dianne and have Basecamp on it too. In the end, I have the maps on each machine. I travel on the bike with the laptop and can make routes on the trip if they require lots of waypoints.

I don't know how to get the updated maps on both machines without doing the full download process. If you do, please let us all know!

I don't know how to put the update on two computers with one download. The process I was referring to is just downloading to one computer and updating two GPS units from that computer. My thinking was that it might result in the ability to just require one download. Wasn't thinking of needing it on two computers.

Perhaps another way to skin that particular cat would be to download the update to a USB drive. If you tried that, I'd be inclined to have Garmin Express and BaseCamp loaded on the USB stick as well. One would want to make sure they had backups, but that's something that we should have anyway. No idea if it would work, but it should be worth a try, and that would only require one download. Just a thought.

I don't know how to put the update on two computers with one download. The process I was referring to is just downloading to one computer and updating two GPS units from that computer. My thinking was that it might result in the ability to just require one download. Wasn't thinking of needing it on two computers.

Perhaps another way to skin that particular cat would be to download the update to a USB drive. If you tried that, I'd be inclined to have Garmin Express and BaseCamp loaded on the USB stick as well. One would want to make sure they had backups, but that's something that we should have anyway. No idea if it would work, but it should be worth a try, and that would only require one download. Just a thought.

I have in the past copied the map from C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps to another computer. That is where Basecamp looks for new maps by default. IIRC I had to activate the maps in Basecamp with the GPS connected.

I have in the past copied the map from C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps to another computer. That is where Basecamp looks for new maps by default. IIRC I had to activate the maps in Basecamp with the GPS connected.

That \Maps subdirectory does seem to contain just one type of file. This might be worth a try. Thanks for the idea.

That directory is where the maps are, but not one file. It is a subdirectory with .gmap at the end of the directory name and contains within that directory 202 Files in 191 Folders, most of which contain a single GMP file. So the maps are themselves within the directory named for the current map such as the current one which is:

C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps\City Navigator North America NT 2018.10.gmap\

It does show the map as being unlocked within BaseCamp, but I've not tried copying it from there. I have tried to copy my Garmin European maps (Garmin SD Card) onto another SD card (as a backup) and BaseCamp appears able to read them but the GPS cannot.

Another idea would be to test this on a MicroSD card as they can be then read quickly and easily by the GPS. Except for the Nav-V that is, which requires a bit of disassembly so perhaps just try the USB for moving.

I believe that BaseCamp stores and uses these files differently from how they stored on the GPS or on an SD Card.

Look into this folder, C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\CoreService\Downloads\Map\Map_Map.NA.2018.10 in the sub folders, you will see the map file. There are other files in there related to the GPS and changes from one map version to another.
I believe this is where the Nav V gets its files. This seems different than what the zumo did.

Back