• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

G650gs

Troutluck

TNSTAAFL
Just saw a red one here at the dealer in Las Vegas. Pretty nifty. Don't like the fake "dual" exhaust, but otherwise something I would consider. (NOTE: this is a single-cylinder replacement for the former F650 single. It has the G650 motor).

Other sites are full of info on this thing which is mostly, I guess, built is China.

The listing price is about $8K. I find this very interesting for two reasons.
Obviously BMW has figured out a way to lower the production costs and produce an entry level or commuter bike.

Secondly, based on this above price profile, the used F650 market is about to drop.
Watch for ads in the used market that say something along the lines of "German Manufacturing" as sellers of older bikes try to differentiate the older bikes from the brand new.

Are the bikes produced in China as good as the German productions? Time will tell.
Fwiw, Triumph has shifted some it s production to China-that is where the Bonny is being built.

I saw one of these at my local dealer last weekend. I was just about to go start signing the loan paperwork, when I remembered the final outcome would of coarse be castration by the wife. I even tried the "but honey, I was buying it for you to learn how to ride" ploy. No dice.

So I'm still praying Santa will come through. I'm going to leave a lot of room under the tree!

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about these bikes. I tend to ignore new releases due to the normally high prices. But this one looks like a great starter or second "just for fun" bike.

I just looked at one and there is no "Built in China" notification anywhere. Where is the China rumor coming from?

My understanding is that the 650 being discussed here is the 800 which has been downsized..ie. smaller cylinder and piston as well as a lowered frame. The China rumor is that they will be bringing back the older, up to 2007 F650GS and that will be manufactured in China. :dunno

My understanding is that the 650 being discussed here is the 800 which has been downsized..ie. smaller cylinder and piston as well as a lowered frame. The China rumor is that they will be bringing back the older, up to 2007 F650GS and that will be manufactured in China. :dunno

I believe the original post was referring to the replacement of the older, single cylinder F650 with new single cylinder with the original frame, but with the G-series single cylinder engine in it. It looks like the old F650 except the engine is black. I was under the impression that at least the engine is made in China, if not the entire bike. You can see it here:

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=2009g650gs&bikeSection=enduro

Just saw a red one here at the dealer in Las Vegas. Pretty nifty. Don't like the fake "dual" exhaust, but otherwise something I would consider. (NOTE: this is a single-cylinder replacement for the former F650 single. It has the G650 motor).

As I understand it, the extra muffler is there to provide more inside volume for the exhaust system for European emissions and noise standards.

From what I have read the engine is being built in China with the assembly of the bike being done by Kymco in Taiwan.

I went back yesterday on the RT and took a second look at the G650GS. I was seriously kicking tires and asking finance questions. Then I happen to take another look at the F650. I would rather spend the extra $1700 for the "F" bike. I don't care where it was built, the "G" is just not as nice as the "F".

berryboats

You are comparing apples and oranges.
The new F650 is a parallel twin.
The new G650 is a single cylinder.
These are two different markets!

If you can spend the other $1700 to find happiness, then do it! And you will end up with a twin cylinder state of the art bike with about 65hp at the wheel.

On one of the Ducati forums, a recent posting lamented that "why are starter bikes now at 60hp or better? What ever happened to the 35-50hp market for new riders?" Answer: G650, and similar bikes.

Not to hijack this thread, but Duc makes a 400cc bike (on the 620/695 frame) for non-US markets. I believe it has about 40hp and gets about 60mpg. Is it as nice as the new 696? Of course not. But it serves a function for both economy and as a starter bike.

Obviously the European bike manufacturers have identified where they want to make their bets.

""Are the bikes produced in China as good as the German productions? Time will tell.""

There are certainly other reasons not to want products from China.

Back