• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Friday Trips

D

DEANCOX

I live in Southern California and I am self employed and if I don't schedule a day off I tend not to do so. A few weeks back I decied to start taking every Friday off. On one of these recent days, I took a loop that took out throught the Rim the World above La Canada, out onto the desert to Palmdale and then west through Ridgecrest and Pine Mtn and then North out the 166 to Santa Maria, back down the 101 to Santa Barbra for dinner than then through the back roads through Ojai down to the 126 and then back into LA. It was a little over 400 miles.

Last Friday I was only able to get away for the after noon, so I went up the 101 through Santa Barabara and then up the San Marcos pass to Santa Ynez through the back roads of the Foxen Wine trail and otu to Santa Maria and north to Nipomo for dinner at Jockos and then back home via the 166 over New Cuyama to Maricopa and the pounded the I-5 slab back into LA.

This got me to thinking that I am going to start planning Friday trips that start at 4-5 in the monring , pick a random direction and see just how far away I can get by noon . Whever I am at noon, take an hour or soff off the bike and then head back home. I figure I can probably 4-600 miles each way depending on route, traffic, LEO presence, etc.

This Friday I am going to go out the 126 to 101 to the 1 at Morro Bay and then the 1 to Montereyand then into SF for lunch with my son and then reverse it or just blow back down the 5 to LA.

Let me know if you have any good ideas for future Fridays....

That's some healthy mileage :thumb And some really great scenery. Maybe someday I can join you if that'd be okay?

Dean, that's a terrific idea! I own my own business and typically, especially in Summer, take a Friday. Just last Friday, I rode up to Saratoga to take advantage of some of the awesome roads and scenery in northeastern NY (courtesy of my good man, PaulBach!), visit with family members and stay overnight. While I only rounded up a lean 450 r/t, I'm inspired by your idea to leave at the crack of dawn, go-go-go, pick a turning-point and head back.

Will let you know what happens next Friday!

Ensenada for lunch and back. That toll road down the coast is just beautiful.
41777171_ee60b0def1.jpg

41775545_2fb7bcaac0.jpg

Last edited:
Go to Jalama Beach for a "Jalama Burger"

Attachments

• HPIM0029-447x269.jpg
    HPIM0029-447x269.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 121
Burnszilla said:
Ensenada for lunch and back. That toll road down the coast is just beautiful.
41777171_ee60b0def1.jpg

41775545_2fb7bcaac0.jpg

Yeah! Good idea.

I just got back from a business trip, where we holed up in place just south of Ensenada and made me think the same thing.

I camp quite bit using my 4Runner down in Baja. I am definitley going to use some of the cooler winter months to do someexploring down there.

R75_7 said:
That's some healthy mileage :thumb And some really great scenery. Maybe someday I can join you if that'd be okay?

Absolutely!

k100lt said:
Go to Jalama Beach for a "Jalama Burger"

I haven't been there in a while, I'll have to look at a creative way to get there.

Go to the "Field of Lavender" in the Santa Ynez valley. Eat pastry in Solvang. Then take a glider ride at the airport.

Rgds, David

Attachments

• IMGP0280.jpg
    IMGP0280.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 77
k100lt said:
Go to the "Field of Lavender" in the Santa Ynez valley. Eat pastry in Solvang. Then take a glider ride at the airport.

Rgds, David

Just did that! Ate the pastry, saw/smelled the Lavendar, drove past the glider (they were closed and it was late) last Friday.

Back