• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Free Entry Days at US National Parks

exgman

There are going to be a few free-entry days to US National Parks in 2017. It's the 100th Anniversary of the NP system, so they've expanded the free days somewhat. Here's a URL for the list (but we've already missed the first one): https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/fee-free-parks.htm

It looks like the BMW MOA Fontana Dam Getaway weekend occurs during one of these. I think that means that the most popular park in the NP system (Great Smoky Mountains) will draw more people to the area of the Fontana Getaway. Yikes!

This is good information, but I will add the maybe snarky comment that a substantial portion of our members are, like me, 62 or older, and already have their $10 lifetime "geezer card."

Important note: If you are 62 or older, or soon will be, do not neglect to go spend $10 on the lifetime Access Pass. The price is going up to $80 July 1 of this year.

Got mine last year at Acadia. WooHoo!

This is good information, but I will add the maybe snarky comment that a substantial portion of our members are, like me, 62 or older, and already have their $10 lifetime "geezer card."

Important note: If you are 62 or older, or soon will be, do not neglect to go spend $10 on the lifetime Access Pass. The price is going up to $80 July 1 of this year.

I'm not turning 60 or even close to it.

If you are a disabled VET.........with the ID card and all.......IT'S NOTHING except the price you paid for serving.................Lots of good benefits for VETs if you just look.......God bless these United States........Dennis

If you are 62 or older, or soon will be, do not neglect to go spend $10 on the lifetime Access Pass. The price is going up to $80 July 1 of this year.

That figures. I don't turn 62 until November.
It's too bad they charge for each bike.

Last edited:
Wow

Sounds like I need to "lose" mine so I have a spare in case I really do misplace it!

EP

It looks like the BMW MOA Fontana Dam Getaway weekend occurs during one of these. I think that means that the most popular park in the NP system (Great Smoky Mountains) will draw more people to the area of the Fontana Getaway. Yikes!

The "free" days should not greatly affect Great Smoky Mountain NP, it is one of the few parks that does not have an entrance fee.

Why No Entrance Fee?
The reasons for free entry to the national park date back at least to the 1930s. The land that is today Great Smoky Mountains National Park was once privately owned. The states of Tennessee and North Carolina, as well as local communities, paid to construct Newfound Gap Road (US-441). When the state of Tennessee transferred ownership of Newfound Gap Road to the federal government, it stipulated that "no toll or license fee shall ever be imposed…" to travel the road.

At that time, Newfound Gap Road was one of the major routes crossing the southern Appalachian Mountains. It's likely the state was concerned with maintaining free, easy interstate transportation for its citizens. North Carolina transferred its roads through abandonment, so no restrictions were imposed.

Action by the Tennessee legislature would be required to lift this deed restriction if Great Smoky Mountains National Park ever wished to charge an entrance fee.

Back