• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Four+ months for warranty service on GTL

john_loucks

I don't know to whom I can complain!

I took my 2012 GTL to my dealer on Oct 4 as it would pop out of 4th gear under power. A week later, they agreed to "fix" the geargox under warranty. Claiming that the 'parts' needed to come from Germany, they did not finish my bike until Dec 12. I road one weekend, less than 500 miles and the gearbox failed...this time would not shift below 3rd gear.

I took it back to the dealer, and said..."I don't want to wait like like time. If you're as slow as last time, it'll be Valentines! I ride year round..." (I'm in Houston...we can ride every month, and almost every week of every month as it rarely gets below 45 degrees).

Lots of excuses. More waiting for Germany. Finally, last week service manager called and promised the bike this week...'we got BMW to agree to replace the whole gearbox. There are 4 in the US and I'll have it installed next week."

On Mar 11, was told...'we need a special tool. Gonna be 10 days to 2 weeks...'

My GTL has been in the shop, unridable, for FIVE going on SIX MONTHS! All the dealer says is, 'sorry, doing all I can do.'

They have my bike (and I'm making payments, not them!) and I've tried to be patient, but my goodness, is this the way BMW does business? FIVE FREAKING MONTHS for a warranty repair!

What can I do?

I don't know to whom I can complain!

I took my 2012 GTL to my dealer on Oct 4 as it would pop out of 4th gear under power. A week later, they agreed to "fix" the geargox under warranty. Claiming that the 'parts' needed to come from Germany, they did not finish my bike until Dec 12. I road one weekend, less than 500 miles and the gearbox failed...this time would not shift below 3rd gear.

I took it back to the dealer, and said..."I don't want to wait like like time. If you're as slow as last time, it'll be Valentines! I ride year round..." (I'm in Houston...we can ride every month, and almost every week of every month as it rarely gets below 45 degrees).

Lots of excuses. More waiting for Germany. Finally, last week service manager called and promised the bike this week...'we got BMW to agree to replace the whole gearbox. There are 4 in the US and I'll have it installed next week."

On Mar 11, was told...'we need a special tool. Gonna be 10 days to 2 weeks...'

My GTL has been in the shop, unridable, for FIVE going on SIX MONTHS! All the dealer says is, 'sorry, doing all I can do.'

They have my bike (and I'm making payments, not them!) and I've tried to be patient, but my goodness, is this the way BMW does business? FIVE FREAKING MONTHS for a warranty repair!

What can I do?

Check the lemon law.

Welcome to the forum!- anyway.
Bummer to have trouble with the bike. I'm curious if you are the first owner? As a '12, I would think that the bike is really out of warranty and perhaps this is a "goodwill" kinda deal? The fact that none of the parts or tools are readily available tells me that this doesn't happen very often.
Nobody like having their vehicles "down" when they could or need to be using them. If this is a "goodwill" kinda deal, while you don't like to wait- it's better than on your dime.
Gary

I think I'd look for a different dealer once this is resolved. Sorry for your pain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps jump onto k1600forum.com and ask the guys over there. A bunch are from Texas and even the Houston area. At the very least you might be able to find a better dealer?

Omega man,
My GTL is actually a 2013...confused the year with my GS.
I complained about the gearbox at least three separate times but they didn't do anything about it. I do not consider this anything like a 'goodwill' repair. I suffered through tractor-like shifting and popping out of gear issues for at least 15,000 miles...until it got so bad that I almost had an accident pulling out of a hard left turn at freeway speeds when it popped out of 4th.

Then, as I approached them at the end of my warranty, 35,500 miles, they agreed to 'fix' it. Little did I know it would take five months...

Omega man,
My GTL is actually a 2013...confused the year with my GS.
I complained about the gearbox at least three separate times but they didn't do anything about it. I do not consider this anything like a 'goodwill' repair. I suffered through tractor-like shifting and popping out of gear issues for at least 15,000 miles...until it got so bad that I almost had an accident pulling out of a hard left turn at freeway speeds when it popped out of 4th.

Then, as I approached them at the end of my warranty, 35,500 miles, they agreed to 'fix' it. Little did I know it would take five months...

There you go. With the correct year this falls under the standard (what seems to be BMW exclusive) warranty. While no doubt troublesome, things would be much worse without the warranty.
Good luck and please us informed as to the final outcome.
Gary

Did the dealer have a loaner bike for you to ride while yours was in for repairs? If not, too bad. Some dealers will have a bike for the customer. Hermys BMW in Pa. Always make sure you have a loaner to ride while bike is in for repairs.
Val
03 K12RS

Back