• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Feelin' Guilty...Bought an oilhead

gstom

Wow! Talk about mixed emotions.
I am a pretty diehard K100 2 valve/ Airhead kind of guy. I came to BMW after riding a 1952 HD Panhead for 20 years. Yes, keeping it simple is my mantra. Yet for about a year now I have been toying with another, secret, desire.
I am opening up to you, my fellow forum members with a confession. Please help me deal with the emotional storm raging within.
I have been looking at the R11XXRT-P bikes for a while, thinking that I would like one. This week, I bid on one on eBay, and won! A 1999 R1100RT-P CHP bike.
I got it at a real bargain price, such that I could turn around and sell it for a tidy profit.
Yes!, I thought.. finally a step into the modern era! But, going out into the garage, I looked over my shabby collection of older bikes and the feeling hit me...which of these can I possibly give up to make space for an ...GASP.."Oilhead!"
Please help see why I should leave the Darkside and keep the oilhead in favor of my uber reliable "88 K100LT (other than the K is BROWN).

back yard shed?

Well, you could always put up a back yard shed for the new bike. Seriously though, I'm in more or less the same boat and understand the emotional tear.

You may enjoy the oilhead - they are very nice, even if they do sound funny.

I faced a similar problem with my K75S. Bought a R1200GS a few weeks ago. Already have a F650CS. Sooooo..... I bought a sidecar to fit on the K75. Someone once said "A collector never sells." Now I need a bigger garage.

bought an oilhead

Help me deal with the emotional storm.......

Tom:

I went through a period of uncertainty when I moved from an airhead to an oiler two years ago, but it didn't last long. I ended up selling the airhead and have no regrets. Some people, collectors perhaps, prefer to keep their old bikes, other people, of the less is more school, prefer having only one in the garage. You just have to figure out which group you belong in.

You'll find your RT-P pulls harder at lower revs than your K, but it's not quite as smooth.

Myself, I don't see a big dichotomy between R bikes and K bikes. They are all BMW's, and the mother company's philosophy permeates both lines. If I had unlimited funds, there would be a K 1200 GT in the garage tomorrow, but the 1150 would stay.

Rinty

I picked up a 2000 RT-P (Mary 8601) last year and like riding it. OTOH, the K1 is still in the garage should I want to ride with two more cylinders. :)

hmm, let's see. with the R11 you'd only be gaining: less weight, much better brakes, NO front end dive on braking, more electrical output, the feel of a big-twin, less heat, better handling, better suspension (especially if you add Ohlins or Wilbers front & rear) lower CG and easier maintenance than on the K-bike.

sold my K11RS after I bought my R11S, and have never looked back, not even slightly. well, except for riding 2-up... but an RT is better at that anyway.

I moved from a 1995 R1100RSL to a K1200S. Really liked the oilhead.

Unlike the old K-bikes... the new K bike is faster...is lighter (about the same weight as the oil head). No heat. Center of gravity is low. Maintenance costs should be close to those of the oilhead...in reviewing maintence schedule...and dealer charges for such. I like the braking...it is as good as the oilhead...maybe a little better. The bike handles like crazy.

These two bikes ride differently. I felt very connected to the road on the oilhead....but with time in the saddle, I've now gotten that same connection with the K.

Both are great bikes....just two different styles.

Last edited:
Back