• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

extra electrics on /5

robertklee

Thinking about running lights and power socket for GPS on a 60/5. What does that involve and will it be a problem?

:usa

You will require major contributions to the Bosch Electrikery Gods.

That aside, if you still have the stock electrics on your R60/5, you will not have a lot of spare power available. If you are determined to have some "running lights" I would suggest that you upgrade your charging system. Possibly with an Enduralast or Omega system. I have the Enduralast and have more power than I need. I run either driving or fog lights, heated vest, converted turn signals to also be running lights, more powerful headlight, and still have lots left over.

The big thing to look at is how much power does your stock charging system provide versus how much you plan to use. Add up all the power consumption of all the stuff you want to add and make sure you have a little left over.

Check ou the numerous threads on this subject. There is a lot of good info available.

Dave

:ca

Would it be possible to upgrade to one of the later rotors? I believe there was a change in resistance over the years which would put a few extra electrons in the system.

Would it be possible to upgrade to one of the later rotors? I believe there was a change in resistance over the years which would put a few extra electrons in the system.

Does the rotor upgrade also require a new stator? I don't know, I'm asking. There is a meaningful power difference.

You should be fine with the GPS, even without the upgrade. The driving lights might be another story.

I need more power...

I just got a high output conversion for /5's from Motorrad Elektrik. Extra 100W for $200. Not too expensive. Pretty simple install, works like a charm.

You can get it here:

Motorrad Elektrik

Does the rotor upgrade also require a new stator? I don't know, I'm asking. There is a meaningful power difference.

Randy -

I'm not sure, but I think it's just a change in resistance of the rotor is what gives the boost. Part of the answer may also be the number of windings in the rotor.

One of the other factors in power generation I think is the distance between the spinning rotor and the stator. The closer the distance, the better the power generation. That's where a new stator might also help.

Just checked at Max BMW:
Replacement Rotor $329
Replacement Stator $190
Total $519
With the above, you will still only have an 180 Watt output
You can get the complete Omega Upgrade kit for $200 which will give you 280 Watt output which should be more than enough for your needs.

Motorrad Elektrik has replacement rotors for $125 and rewound ones (exchanges) for $100.

Bob's carries the same after market rotor (Nippon-Denso) for $125. I just had to replace mine. At the same time, I upgraded to a Hella electronic voltage regulator which doesn't provide any more power, but it does start full charging at much lower RPMs (like 2100 vs 4200). It was $40 I think, at Bob's.

I just bought a /5 also and will be looking into upgrading to either an Omega or EnDuralast. As I understand all the EnDuralast documentation, it does away with the brushes and (effectively) combines the diode (rectifier) with the voltage regulator and bigger cooling fins. I believe this is how most modern bikes are setup. So no diode board in the front cover and the regulator/rectifier mounts on the frame (either where the existing regulator is or under a side cover if you have room, for better cooling). Also provides 450watts and 29amps--power to spare).

I installed the Enduralast on my 81 R100RT last winter. Now have more than enough power. I also like the idea of getting rid of the diode board and brushes. The new regulator creates a little more heat than the old one and is larger, but fits under my gas tank just fine. Rode some long days last summer in over 100 degree heat with no issues whatsoever. While I had it all apart, I rewired my built in Fog and Driving lights with heavier wire, new relays to the battery and they now seem a whole lot brighter as well.

Haven't seen the regulator light come on at idle since installation. Idle at around 800RPM, Voltage charging at battery is 13.7 volts at 800RPM and quickly goes up to maximum. I think it was well worth the $500 and the Saturday afternoon to install.

:ca

Back