• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Drove my RTW for the first time

kbnesbitt

I purchased my 2015 RTW (San Marino Blue)last December, but I decided to leave it in storage at the dealership until I sold my R1200R. I had to take my R in for some servicing, and since a couple of parts needed to be ordered, I decided to leave the R and bring the RTW home :dance.

I did not have the opportunity to drive any of the latest generation prior to buying (I was called in to work on every BMW test drive day), so I had a chance to really find the differences between a wethead and my old hexhead.

Pros:

The bike is incredibly smooth and light feeling on the road. I had no problem with tossing the bike around on the highway or on the country roads I take to get home. The power windscreen was great for getting airflow while reducing buffeting around my helmet. And cruise control, too!

Need to get used to these:

The wonder wheel may be a great feature, but I really need to spend time getting used to how it works. I kept moving features while using the turn signals. Speaking of signals, I will have to get accustomed to having one switch on the left bar. The seat is a bit flatter than my old bike, but at least I no longer slide my bits into the tank while braking! Also need to get familiar with where the power band is on the new bike. I was able to cruise my old bike at 60 mph in fifth gear, turning just under 4000 rpm. That same range will now get me speeding tickets.

Cons:

I thought I had plenty of room for seating when I sat on the bikes in the showroom. On the road with my gear on, the seating position is a bit tighter than I imagined. I stand 6'1" in bare feet, 32" inseam, and a size 13 foot, and I have to plan where I stick my left foot when I want to shift. A set of peg extensions will be in order (any recommendations :scratch). After that, I will see if I need bar risers. Beyond those minor ergonomic quibbles, no major issues.

I haven't had a chance to clean or photograph it yet, but I will post it to the photos section soon.

Congrats on the new bike, "you like it now, but you'll learn to love it".

Definitely easy to pick up tickets with - cruise control is your friend. ;-)

The WonderWheel took me some time to adjust to, but I really like it now. Funny thing, I rented a GS for the MOA Rally and had the same issues with hitting it unintentionally, even though there is no appreciable difference between the GS and my RTW. My thinking was that just the difference in seating / bar positions wiped out my built-up muscle memory of the WonderWheel and it was like it's position was completely new to me again (could have also been that mile-high air in Denver ;-).

Can't speak to the RTW (haven't needed to change much for my ergos), but on my 1150RT I had a combination of Ilium and Wunderlich products that brought the ergos around very nicely for me. YMMV

I purchased my 2015 RTW (San Marino Blue)last December, but I decided to leave it in storage at the dealership until I sold my R1200R. I had to take my R in for some servicing, and since a couple of parts needed to be ordered, I decided to leave the R and bring the RTW home :dance.

I did not have the opportunity to drive any of the latest generation prior to buying (I was called in to work on every BMW test drive day), so I had a chance to really find the differences between a wethead and my old hexhead.

I simply cannot imagine having a new ( or even just new-to-me) bike available and not using it for over half a year. I can't decide if I should admire your self control or offer condolences for your insanity.

Enjoy the new ride.:wave

I simply cannot imagine having a new ( or even just new-to-me) bike available and not using it for over half a year. I can't decide if I should admire your self control or offer condolences for your insanity.

Enjoy the new ride.:wave

+1!

Self control??? I have been accused of many things, but having self control is not one of them!!!:thumb

I had purchased the bike on a layaway plan, so I didn't have to take delivery right away. I'm hoping that some deserving rider will soon buy my R, so I can start riding the RTW all the time.

Cons:

I thought I had plenty of room for seating when I sat on the bikes in the showroom. On the road with my gear on, the seating position is a bit tighter than I imagined. I stand 6'1" in bare feet, 32" inseam, and a size 13 foot, and I have to plan where I stick my left foot when I want to shift. A set of peg extensions will be in order (any recommendations :scratch). After that, I will see if I need bar risers. Beyond those minor ergonomic quibbles, no major issues.

Dumb question, I know, but did you put the seat in to the High position? The default at most dealerships is the low position.

I just returned from a Canadian Maritime ride of 14 days and about 4500mi...these 2 mods solved my issues with knees and shoulders due to my 6'2 and 34in dimensions.

Knight Design lowered pegs. (I got the silver SideTrax for my 2016 RT)
I was able to adjust the shifter to compensate for the lowered position, and left the rear brake alone since I don't use it unless at a stop.
http://www.knightdesignllc.com/Products/Motorcycle/BMW/R1200RT/BMW-R1200RT-1-Front-Foot-Pegs.html
IMG_5631-X2.jpg

Ilium Bar back/risers.
Highly recommend renting the tool for pressing out the OEM handle bar shaft, it works perfectly and takes the fear of damaging something with a hammer completely away. ($15)
All the OEM cables and hoses fit just fine and are not in a strain in any way. One more comment about the install, I feel the recommended torque settings are a little low to keep the new bars from moving, so just tightened the 2 bolts a little bit more until TLAR (that looks about right)
I also replaced the OEM clamps that hold the L and R clutch and brake levers/reservoirs and that gave me room to mount some mirrors next to the brackets for better view to the back...keeps me from dipping my head to get the line of sight out of my bifocals looking at the original mirrors. (getting old is tough)
I can't find the source for the new brackets, and the mirrors are less than $30 from an un-named online bidding site.

http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=30-500&pID=103
IMG_5632-X2.jpg
IMG_5633-X2.jpg

Back