• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Driving here in Massachusetts? Not exactly pleasant

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
“Personal finance website WalletHub's ranking of the best states to drive in puts Massachusetts 45th out of 50. Only California, West Virginia, Delaware, Washington and Hawaii have a lower score“

One ranking Massachusetts did well on was safety. Everything moving so slowly the reason?

OM

That's what I was thinking. Hard to get hurt if you are not moving.
Surprised about W VA though. Too many raccoons on the highway?

“Personal finance website WalletHub's ranking of the best states to drive in puts Massachusetts 45th out of 50. Only California, West Virginia, Delaware, Washington and Hawaii have a lower score“

One ranking Massachusetts did well on was safety. Everything moving so slowly the reason?

OM
Glad I moved out of that state 20 years ago. Rte 3 coming from the south shore during rush hour was maddening 30-40 years ago. When I left that state, living on the seaboard anywhere in Ma. was a nightmare relative driving congestion.
Just before I left the state, I'd usually take the train into town and cab it to places I needed to go. Driving in the city is not my idea of anything but a nightmare.
btw, Az ranked 20th. It's getting like Boston congestion here in Phx as well at this time

Everyone sure seems to go fast…..like drag strip fast, in between traffic lights. I told my my brother that if we were younger, I would set up a brake service shop and name it- Jackrabbit Brake Service. :burnout
OM

Everyone sure seems to go fast…..like drag strip fast, in between traffic lights. I told my my brother that if we were younger, I would set up a brake service shop and name it- Jackrabbit Brake Service. :burnout
OM
Former resident here that moved west.

The biggest issue with Mass. is that there are t many larger arteries to move traffic. So everyone fills all the little narrow backroads during commute. We lived in Billerica and my wife worked in Waltham. It’s only like 20 miles, but it reliably took her an hour to commute.

I think the endless congestion, heavy traffic enforcement and long drive times, even locally, contribute to the Bostonian tendency to drive by the inch. If you e been through a merge in Boston, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

Interesting comment on California, but remember that lane splitting is legal and socially normal, so commuting via motorcycle in the Golden State is a breeze. Add in street parking dedicated to motorcycles and the difference in car vs moto commuting is significant.

Im curious about what they mean by “best”. The roads here are amazing and endless, without a town cop hiding behind every tree and bush like New England.

Apparently, they’re only measuring congestion, which seems odd. Someone in Gill, Ma sure isn’t dealing with congestion, nor is anyone living outside the three large Ca. Metro areas.

Weird assessmen, eh?

Former resident here that moved west.

The biggest issue with Mass. is that there are t many larger arteries to move traffic. So everyone fills all the little narrow backroads during commute. We lived in Billerica and my wife worked in Waltham. It’s only like 20 miles, but it reliably took her an hour to commute.

I think the endless congestion, heavy traffic enforcement and long drive times, even locally, contribute to the Bostonian tendency to drive by the inch. If you e been through a merge in Boston, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

Interesting comment on California, but remember that lane splitting is legal and socially normal, so commuting via motorcycle in the Golden State is a breeze. Add in street parking dedicated to motorcycles and the difference in car vs moto commuting is significant.

Im curious about what they mean by “best”. The roads here are amazing and endless, without a town cop hiding behind every tree and bush like New England.

Apparently, they’re only measuring congestion, which seems odd. Someone in Gill, Ma sure isn’t dealing with congestion, nor is anyone living outside the three large Ca. Metro areas.

Weird assessmen, eh?
For most of West Virginia congestion is an oxymoron. Switchbacks and potholes not so much.

Here is the data table for all 50 states. Have fun. https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-states-to-drive-in/43012

Last edited:
This might be just neighboring-state bias, but here in Virginia a common view of WVA drivers is they usually drive in the middle lane of two-lane roads.

This might be just neighboring-state bias, but here in Virginia a common view of WVA drivers is they usually drive in the middle lane of two-lane roads.
I have noted the same thing in the Ozarks in both Missouri and Arkansas. They consciously or unconsciously have learned that driving like that improves sight distance around right hand curves.

Which reminds me of the time Voni and I were riding in southern Missouri. As we rode through a small town an old guy driving an old Buick pulled out in front of us as we both headed out of town. I silently cursed that on the upcoming twisty road there would be scant places to pass this geezer. He took off, taking the curves that he knew like the back of his hand. There were parts of the ride to the next town that all I could do was try to keep up. When we got to the next little town he slowed down and almost stopped at a bumpy railroad crossing. By then I could read the "Pearl Harbor Survivor" text on his license plate. I had once again learned that you can't judge a book by its cover. :)

Last edited:
I have noted the same thing in the Ozarks in both Missouri and Arkansas. They consciously or unconsciously have learned that driving like that improves sight distance around right hand curves.

Which reminds me of the time Voni and I were riding in southern Missouri. As we rode through a small town an old guy driving an old Buick pulled out in front of us as we both headed out of town. I silently cursed that on the upcoming twisty road there would be scant places to pass this geezer. He took off, taking the curves that he knew like the back of his hand. There were parts of the ride to the next town that all I could do was try to keep up. When we got to the next little town he slowed down and almost stopped at a bumpy railroad crossing. By then I could read the "Pearl Harbor Survivor" text on his license plate. I had once again learned that you can't judge a book by its cover. :)
Locals in pick up trucks that know the roads really well are a thing out here. I just let them go now. :LOL:

Reactions: lee
Back