• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dead Zumo 550

S

SNOONE

I bought my Garmin Zumo 550 in December and have been using it since in the bike mount and the car mount.. I went on vacation for 5 days and when I came back the unit refused to turn on. I did all the things you should do which are: plug in the charger, hard restart, and reseating the battery but nothing worked. Last tues I called Garmin customer service and I was told to send it back for repair overnight at their expense. Yesterday I received an overnight package with a brand new unit and all the mounts and accessories.. Now I have a spare bike mount and car mount plus all the hardware etc.. Gotta love Garmin. I'm very impressed by their service/turnaround.

zumo

is the zumo much faster at calculating or recalculating routes than the quest?
I like the quest2 but it is a little slow in my opinion.

My quest jumped out of it's mount and destroyed itself. Garmin warrantied it with a remanufactured unit. Can't ask for better service.

Never leave home without wireties!!!!!

I believe the Zumo is much faster, however there is an issue with not being able to turn off the recalc function which I hope is addresssed in a software update

My quest jumped out of it's mount and destroyed itself.
Get a handful of these adhesive pad eye kits from Gear Keeper. They have very strong adhesive. Attach a lanyard of your choice and make it a habit to put the lanyard over the mount or a nearby mirror stanchion every time time you mount the GPS unit. It serves as a back up to sloppy mounting or hand slips.

Because of the shipping for such a small item, I bought several. I lose one at a time as I've returned GPS units to Garmin for service and gotten a replacement instead.

Fred

Last edited:
Fred,

Where do you buy the product . Is there an online source you use.? Thanks

Where do you buy the product . Is there an online source you use.?
That's a link in my post. I bought them direct, though there is a dealer search engine on their site. Try to get a bunch of people together to buy them. Silly to spend $6-8 to ship a $2 item.

Fred

P.S. Of course, some GPS units may have a hole moulded into the housing for a lanyard.

Thanks ,

I'll email them.. I didn't see a place on their site where you could order direct

Nice to hear about the good customer service at Garmin. It's always good to hear that a large corporation still knows how to treat a customer. :thumb

I must have gotten one of the good units; I've never had any problem stopping the recalculating route program. I push the menu key and then the stop button and itÔÇÖs stopped.

Easy :usa

"I think we agree, the past is over."
George W. Bush

Back