• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Conti Road Attack v. Metzler Z6 for R1150R

I have the Conti's on my new R1200R. They are fine tires, though I'll be lucky to make it to the 6,000 mile service with the rear (3700 now, and visibly well worn.) They say they are great in the wet, but I only ride in the rain when I get caught out, and I don't mind being very conservative when it happens.

My last Metzelers were Lasertecs for my K75S, not M6's, but I'm done with Metzeler. It took 3 1/2 oz of weight to balance them, and they were slightly out of round too. Metzeler moved their production to Brazil (at least for Lasertecs) and the quality plummeted. ME33, ME55, and the old ME99 were some of my favorite tires for the old jurassic bikes. No more Metzelers for me.

I have the Conti's on my new R1200R. They are fine tires, though I'll be lucky to make it to the 6,000 mile service with the rear (3700 now, and visibly well worn.) They say they are great in the wet, but I only ride in the rain when I get caught out, and I don't mind being very conservative when it happens.

My last Metzelers were Lasertecs for my K75S, not M6's, but I'm done with Metzeler. It took 3 1/2 oz of weight to balance them, and they were slightly out of round too. Metzeler moved their production to Brazil (at least for Lasertecs) and the quality plummeted. ME33, ME55, and the old ME99 were some of my favorite tires for the old jurassic bikes. No more Metzelers for me.

I've been using the new Metzeler M3, and in the 120/70 and the 190/50 sizes, they didn't take any weight at all on the rear and 20 grams on the front. That was for two sets. Maybe they are not all made in the same place.

tires

I am using Z6's and think they are great. Just had a new Z6 put on the rear at 12,300 miles. They did not have to use any weight. My front tire is good as of now.
CW
05, RT

One thing about the Z6 that made me quit using them, is the fact that there is no groove down the center of the rear.

And the first visible indication of the tire being worn out is a grey line of steel cord showing through, this happened to me on two sets of Z6's.

I prefer having a groove (like the Z4's had) so that when I do my walk around I can easily see tread remaining.

Just put on some road attacks; yesterday was first ride to rough them up and they feel good; durability? We'll have to see. They turn really quick, even surprisingly so, had to get used to it.

Have not found a tire yet that gets past 7000 mile. Just had the battlax and loved it but same as previous post could not tell how worn they were with not tread depth in the center, returned from a 1500 mile trip with exposed cord.

Pilot roads felt good but lasted only 6000 miles. Mets did not last long and did not feel as good as the pilots or the battlax when running hard and in wet conditions.

Riding style is major factor and I push my RT very hard and this summer has been extremley hot and that really burns the tires up.

On my 2nd set of Z6's on the R1150R. Got over 10k miles out of the last set, it was encouraging. Great wet road tire too.

I have heard good things about ME880's for longer wear, love to hear people's thoughts on those.

One thing about the Z6 that made me quit using them, is the fact that there is no groove down the center of the rear.

And the first visible indication of the tire being worn out is a grey line of steel cord showing through, this happened to me on two sets of Z6's.

I prefer having a groove (like the Z4's had) so that when I do my walk around I can easily see tread remaining.

There are tire wear grooves on the Z6 but you have learn and to look for them. They are on the groove which starts at the symbol "twi" on the sidewall. They have three bumps on them as you go toward the center of the tire. The last bump is the important one and when the tire gets down to the level of that bump, replace the tire.

Back