• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Clutch Question for Tinkerers...

Hi All,

I'm a newbie, and I just got a /6.

Is there any way to modify the lever on the clutch to bring it closer to the handlebar?

It's a stretch for the ol' hand and gives me a cramp on long trips or stop and go. Feels too far away.

Just call me "Small-hands McGee," I guess. :blush :laugh

I know at least one of you guys knows...

Thanks!

What style of levers do you have? My /7 levers have a bit of a dogbone in them...not sure why that was done other than to move them closer to the bar and/or give more leverage...maybe more ergonomic. They don't have the cutouts for the fingers. I wonder if they can be used on a /6??

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=0267&mospid=47837&hg=32&fg=10

Most of what I've read is to bend the lever. It's best to use some heat in the bend area to maintain the temper of the aluminum. Check out Duane's site:

http://www.softcom.net/users/w6rec/duane/bmw/control/controls.htm

Something else I read was to use spacers up at the hand grip and/or weld onto the clutch lever at the back of the tranny so that the clutch lever bottoms out sooner. You'd probably have to study the mechanism to figure out what to do.

There is a product called the E-Z Clutch which reduces the effort required to pull the lever...doesn't really help with moving the lever closer to the bar. It uses a pulley affair down near the end of the clutch cable at the tranny. The pull effort is reduced, but the area of engagement also goes down so you have to relearn how to shift with this new setup.

What style of levers do you have? My /7 levers have a bit of a dogbone in them...not sure why that was done other than to move them closer to the bar and/or give more leverage...maybe more ergonomic. They don't have the cutouts for the fingers. I wonder if they can be used on a /6??

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=0267&mospid=47837&hg=32&fg=10

Most of what I've read is to bend the lever. It's best to use some heat in the bend area to maintain the temper of the aluminum. Check out Duane's site:

http://www.softcom.net/users/w6rec/duane/bmw/control/controls.htm

Something else I read was to use spacers up at the hand grip and/or weld onto the clutch lever at the back of the tranny so that the clutch lever bottoms out sooner. You'd probably have to study the mechanism to figure out what to do.

There is a product called the E-Z Clutch which reduces the effort required to pull the lever...doesn't really help with moving the lever closer to the bar. It uses a pulley affair down near the end of the clutch cable at the tranny. The pull effort is reduced, but the area of engagement also goes down so you have to relearn how to shift with this new setup.

I'd be willing to bet they can, the attachment for the cable is the same and the thickness of the part that fits the pivot is probably as well, if its a tad thinner you can shimm it with a thin washer (as is sometimes done when old handles wear down and become wobbly) or grind it down to fit, the real question is probably the position of the pivot hole in the handle and grip, and if they would line up. I've always perfered the /7 style over the earlier ones on my /5's.

tjfriedmann, if you can find someone with a /7 testing it out would be easy enough.

RM

Before you modify your stock lever, it might be worth your time to take it off and visit your local dealers who sell dirt bikes. Motorcross riders frequently break levers and shops keep replacements in stock. You might find one that has a more comfortable fit for you, just compare the ends to make sure it will fit the same perch. Motorcycle salvage yards are another option.

Happy hunting!
Bob

Try Magura after market levers for dirt bikes. Magura is the OE maker for BMW, some of the levers will fit BMW's. They are made of a softer material and will bend easyer, and much less than OE BMW levers.

Ken G.

Clutch Question...

Hey, I appreciate it guys. I think I may try to see if I can swap it out with another model before bending the stock lever. I ordered the e-z clutch as well as the e-z pull from www.thebeemershop.com.

Back