• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

CDK Global cyberattack impacts thousands of US car dealerships

This is now being reported on local (Boston) TV. It doesn’t sound like it will be sorted anytime soon.
OM

Bloomberg reports the ransom will be paid. This must mean the company’s back ups were compromised as well and now they have no choice in order for this not to drag on for weeks. Ransomware has been in the news for so long there really is no good excuse for this type of impact. A properly secured back up and restore strategy should be capable of execution within 24 hours and completion in 48 and would cost a lot less then “tens of millions” in ransom. Someone wasn’t doing their job.

Bloomberg reports the ransom will be paid. This must mean the company’s back ups were compromised as well and now they have no choice in order for this not to drag on for weeks. Ransomware has been in the news for so long there really is no good excuse for this type of impact. A properly secured back up and restore strategy should be capable of execution within 24 hours and completion in 48 and would cost a lot less then “tens of millions” in ransom. Someone wasn’t doing their job.

Too bad the hackers can't be tracked and "reminded" that this isn't nice to do. :deal
OM

Too bad the hackers can't be tracked and "reminded" that this isn't nice to do. :deal
OM
There has been some limited success with that lately but not near enough. The current risk/reward ratio is still way too skewed unfortunately. Especially for those whose standard of living leaves much to be desired.

There has been some limited success with that lately but not near enough. The current risk/reward ratio is still way too skewed unfortunately. Especially for those whose standard of living leaves much to be desired.
Two movies I can recommend-
“BlackHat”
“The BEEKEEPER”
:nod
OM

After 15 days down there is some light at the end of the tunnel. It will be interesting to gauge the financial impact of a poorly executed back up strategy.

After 15 days down there is some light at the end of the tunnel. It will be interesting to gauge the financial impact of a poorly executed back up strategy.

I suspect the actual impact on car sales will be minimal. If I was ready to buy a vehicle; had financing or cash; had found the car or truck to buy but the paperwork was delayed - I would probably still buy the vehicle when I could. That said, salespeople and other staff might be waiting for a paycheck. Some dealers more nimble and better with a paper and pencil might sell more cars, gaining some sales at the expense of other dealerships. Gains for the Neanderthals, losses for the Nerds methinks.

Last edited:
Two movies I can recommend-
“BlackHat”
“The BEEKEEPER”
:nod
OM
Still waiting for Beekeeper to come to free streaming, as I missed out on the big screen release... LOL!

Edit: Now available on Amazon Prime Video

Last edited:
It’s amazing how dependent we’ve become to computers/electronic devices. Then an outage like this comes along and we can barely get anything done.
My wife has a doctor that does everything like it's 1982. It's painful to work with them because everything takes twice as long - at least - to accomplish.

Back