• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

California, Santa Cruz, Work-space needed

sirsethro

Work-space needed

Hello,

I have a sort of strange request, and I hope I'm not violating any forum rules by asking for some help here. I'm happy to remove this post if so. Thanks in advance for any replies or suggestions.

In short: I'm looking for a place that I can work on my bike in Santa Cruz or nearby. I have a few small projects that need to be done in order to get it back on the road, probably only a few days worth of after-work repairs. I live in an apartment here, and store my bike in a garage that has no power and really poor lighting, making it useless to actually work on my bike. I was wondering if anyone lives nearby that has workspace to help me get my '72 R75/5 back up and running properly? It currently runs just fine, but leaks oil and needs various seals replaced.

The bike:
It's a '72 SWB R75/5. It's red and has the toaster tank. I bought it last year, did some basic work to get it on the road and enjoyed it for the season... but I am quickly realizing it needs more love before I can really start riding it on longer rides. I think I need to park the bike permanently until I can complete these repairs. Most of the repairs it needs are simple and I'm confident I can do them myself or with some help. It's amazing how much is already written up on the web. If I had my own garage I would have already stripped the bike myself to begin work.

I have my own tools, although I know a few specialty ones need to be purchased for some of the work. I am fairly capable of doing the repairs myself, I really just need a place to do it after work or on the weekends.

Immediate Repairs:

1. Rear main seal - Changed my oil last week and a healthy amount of engine oil is now sitting on the "tray" underneath the transmission, so I'm pretty sure it's time to replace that RMS and the oil pump o-ring. Looks like people are replacing the whole oil pump cover now too with updated bolts.
2. Inspect clutch, possibly replace. Ya know...as long as we're in there.
3. Oil-pan gasket should be replaced if time permits.
4. Gas tank needs to be flushed, cleaned, and sealed. Lots of little red flakes on the inside and some rust. I have in-line filters setup so it's not affecting performance....yet. Haven't actually found paint in the float bowls or carb jets, but some rust does accumulate from time to time.
5. Cam/Crank shaft front seals. I noticed a drop of oil on the points plate, not enough to foul the points, but I figured I might replace the seals anyway.
6. Previous owner stripped the center nut on the right Cylinder head; noticed that when I pulled the whole stud out first time I went to adjust the valve lash. Not a big deal...but I would like to put in a heli-coil to get that nut back on there one of these days...
7. Found a bent spoke on the rear wheel, bought some SS replacements.

Things I can offer: Good beer, goes without saying. I do IT work professionally, so I can always offer free IT work. My father is a Mac Tools dealer, so maybe you want some high end tools that I can arrange to be sold at a discount? He generally sells me tools at a discount and has them shipped to me. I could extend this deal to you!

Anyway, I know it's a long shot, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Thanks for taking a look.

Even if nobody has a place to offer, I'm still down to meet up with local BMW owners and have a beer sometime.

cheers,

Last edited:
Darryl's 14th annual surf city tech day is Saturday, April 12th. Garage space, tools, lots of helping hands. Possibly even the use of a lift unless someone else gets to it first. I usually go, but this year will be in Death Valley that weekend.

Darryl's write up:

Well, my website is down and messed up, and I haven't had the opportunity to fix it. So, no sign up this year, I sure hope you'll all come and eat up the ribs and chicken Don and I are going to make for it.

Where: Surf City
333 Castle Dr., Santa Cruz, CA
831-475-1339

When: 10am till whenever
Saturday, April 12th

What: Lunch, Tire kicking and whatever maintenance or repair work you want to take on. I have a pretty good set of tools, a couple bike lifts, some Airhead and Vintage BMW specific tools. Also lots of electric bits. And an air compressor. Not to mention, all the advice you could ever want. I will have some oil, but if you like something specific, you should bring it with you.

Lunch is Potluck! Bring something to share. Don and I will make up some chicken and ribs to go with whatever you bring.

Directions:
From the Greater Bay Area:
* Take CA-17 south to Santa Cruz
* Take CA-1 south (direction Watsonville)
* Take Exit 439 Soquel Ave.
* Right at the top of the exit
* Right at the 1st signal (Soquel Dr.)
* Left at the 1st signal (Paul Sweet Rd.)
* ~2.5 miles - road narrows to 1 lane - becomes a private road
* Bear right onto Castle Dr. (look for street sign, do not turn sooner)
* We'll all be in back at the turnaround, about half a mile up

From the South or East:
* Take CA-1 north (direction Santa Cruz)
* Take exit 439 Soquel Dr.
* Continue on ramp to signal
* Cross intersection to Paul Sweet Rd.
* ~2.5 miles - road narrows to 1 lane - becomes a private road
* Bear right onto Castle Dr. (look for street sign, do not turn sooner)
* We'll all be in back at the turnaround, about half a mile up

Yep, come on by and get some work done on your bike and probably more advice than you can stand.

Oh wow, just my luck there's a tech day happening right in my backyard and I'm not available :( I'll be up in Berkeley on the 12th attending the Willy Nelson concert @ The Greek. I hadn't expected something so perfect to be available so soon! Maybe we can work something else out? Either way it's good to know you have an annual tech day, count me in next year for sure.

I've decided I'm going to try and come by to say hello at the tech day before I head up to Berkeley. I really want to see your R52 in person, it looks sweet. I was reading your Cannonball blog on the vintagebmw site and it looks really involved to drive that thing. I can't imagine coming over the Rockies on it!

You're welcome to drop by, but if you get here before 10, you may have to do some sweeping. ;)

I think you'll get to see the R52 all apart. I'm just starting to reassemble the lower end. I've gone through the oil pump and rebuilt it, and I've mounted the windage screen. Next I have to put the flywheel and clutch onto the back of the crank, install the camshaft and the idler gear, and then lay the crank in and put the case halves together. I haven't gotten my cylinders or new custom pistons back yet, so that's about as far as I can go right now. And I'm waiting for a magneto gear from Germany before I can fire it up. I need to do a little rattle can painting to finish the new handlebars and the "pedestrian slicer" front license plate I made this morning.

Willie at the Greek? fun! I saw him a few years back at The Fillmore... Saw Dave Mathews Band at the Greek though, was pretty awesome.

Back