• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Breaking in new shoes for my '14 GS

mlarson

I spooned on some new tires this weekend, Heidenau K60 Scouts, and tried them out in the Michaux State Forest, North of Frederick, MD. My ride went well. During my ritual stream/creek crossing, with water flying, a couple of Jeep guys who were waiting for me to cross gave me a thumbs up. They were probably thinking 'Who is this nut playing in the water in 38 degree weather?'

Parts of the fire roads I rode on were as slippery as snot....layered with ice, mud, and water. The tires worked well and, while I'm not sure how my old ones (Tourance Next) would have performed, I think I like these K60 Scouts. Front wheel floating on the mud pretty much going where the contours of the road dictate but not sliding out....back end sliding around like a snake, spitting mud and dirt everywhere, then hooking up on solid bits. It was a blast!

They did feel different on pavement than my Tourance Next I took off. I don't know if it was 'new tire syndrome' or what but they didn't feel as sticky in the turns.

Looking forward to testing these at MMM.

I have a K60 on the back of the F800. So far so good. If you changed the tires manually, you really know how stiff they are. I always found a stiffer tire to be less "sticky" and when you throw in some lugs- may be a bit different then what you had.
OM

Heidenaus use a harder rubber compound and are known to stick less on pavement. They're not the ideal choice if you like railing the twisties.

The hard compound is one reason why these tires have a reputation for high mileage.

Ian

Back