• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW = Buzzards Make Way!

bigjohnsd

'21 R1250 GS Adv
I left Marietta OH about 0630 this morning headed West.
Fred, on OH 32 didn't get the "BMW" message. He took off from breakfast but then decided he needed one more bite of the dead squirel and did a wingover right into me. Broke a little plastic, no harm to me and no stains in my shorts.

20230507_075842-X2.jpg

20230507_075848-XL.jpg

20230507_075901-XL.jpg

In Pikesville OH now enjoying breakfast while a line of thunderstorms passes over. Next stop Georgetown IL.

Wow. Glad you weren’t damaged. I really slow down and lean on the horn if possible when I approach those buffets.

OK saw your note at bottom of pic. Storm line is passing at 11:30 local. Rain is over to the west.

Wow. Glad you weren’t damaged. I really slow down and lean on the horn if possible when I approach those buffets.

Likewise! If for no other reason, just because when they take off they will often offload the end products of their buffet dining, perhaps as a way of lightening the load and faster gaining of altitude and airspeed. And some of them shed a LOT of weight…

Glad that Bigjohnsd wasn’t injured!

Best,
DeVern

Fortunate that it didn’t do more damage John. Hope you collected the bird carcass for mounting on your trophy wall.

Fortunate that it didn’t do more damage John. Hope you collected the bird carcass for mounting on your trophy wall.

Carcass left for the next Buzzard - what did amaze me was the relative lightness of said carcass, for a bird with a six-foot wingspan they don't weigh much, about a Kilo seems to be average. When I picked it up after pulling it out of the bike, should have got that picture but my adrenalin was still pumping, it was like picking up a beer in a plastic mug, It just didn't feel right, a total lack of substance.

what did amaze me was the relative lightness of said carcass, for a bird with a six-foot wingspan they don't weigh much, .

Hollow bones make them lighter.

Here's a fact I did not know about the hollow bones, which is also true for Eagles.

In the morning, Turkey Vultures are often seen standing on tree limbs with their wings outstretched to the sun. They are a very lightweight bird with long hollow bones filled with air. As the sunshine warms them, the air in their wing bones expands, warming them up and making it easier to fly. During this warming time, a bird may fly up only a few hundred feet to test the air and look for thermal currents. If the conditions are not right, they will return to their spot to warm in the sun some more.

Adding up various plastic bits already over $500 before the Headlight Protector from Touratech.

Called my Insurance agent and filed a claim, I had hoped to handle it myself but that is why we have insurance - animal = comprehensive, no fault to me.

Back