• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bike Metal or Plastic Panniers

Muriel

BMW MOV
I have a new F650GS and am looking at new "ammo can" type of panniers. I know there are several brands from Jesse's to Moto-sport to Happy Trails and others. I will not be "climbing rocks" or anything really rugged. What would be a decent value at a decent price, keeping costs reasonable? Anyone have the high-impact plastic bags? Like them? Which ones tend to be watertight and which don't?

TIA,
Muriel

I know someone who dropped his R100GS in a creek crossing (sliding 8 feet and doing a 180 in the process), and these Caribou Cases held up just fine. That link is to the specific ones for the F650GS. I'm planning on getting a set for my GSPD. All reviews I've read on them are very positive. They sell a smaller size bag as well, although I think the bigger ones look fine on an F650, and it's nice to have the space.

On the other hand, I met two guys from Canada when I went to up to the James Bay. One had Givi bags on his bike (not a BMW). They had a key to open the whole bag, and then a combination lock to open a smaller "door" for quick access. It seemed like a good idea, but the combination lock wasn't working properly, even on new bags. It could have been an anomaly, of course. Still, those Pelican cases that are used on the Caribou setup are nearly indestructible. Lots of talk about them on advrider.

Anyhow, they are cheaper than most of the aluminum ones (the price they list includes all the mounting hardware, (unlike some of the aluminum bag manufacturers), and I think they would hold up better (especially with waterproofness), overall. The only downside is they are side-load not top-load.

+1 on the Caribou bags.

I have the side bags, and the top bag. (1550 models)
Love 'em.

I tried top loaders on another bike, but didn't like having to move what I'd strapped down on top of them each time I needed in the side case.

Thanks, guys. I clicked on their site, and they do look good. I appreciate your comments. Good point about having to unstrap things when you have a top loader - I hadn't thought of that.

Well, off to pick up the bike tomorrow. :clap I'll be ordering bags over the winter to be ready for next riding season.

Muriel

Jesse Bags

I have jesse's on my F650GS and find them excellent. Bought them using the adopt a bag page so $200 off. Still haven't found the scratch or dent. i find the top loading more efficient than the side loading GiVis i used to have.

I have jesse's on my F650GS and find them excellent. Bought them using the adopt a bag page so $200 off. Still haven't found the scratch or dent. i find the top loading more efficient than the side loading GiVis i used to have.

I know Al Jesse makes a fine product. Fortunatley I have the winter to mull this over - great idea about looking for seconds!

Thanks,
Muriel

Muriel

Go with the caribou. Because of the dampness where you live, their profile is tight to the bike and they are strong. The other brands are great but they seem bulky. If you really need to carry that much get the caribous and have a plate installed on the pack for tires and a large waterproof bag covered by a wire mesh bag safe.

Metal cases appear to be the uniform of an adventure bike but even in todays world that is changing. Be light, pack light and your burdens will be lifted. Good luck.

;) Carry a lot of stuff? You make some more good points about the dampness et al. Thanks for the input - all good stuff.

Muriel

Back