• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Big Bend National Park in February?

weschmann

Kawa Afterthought
I thinking of a trip to Texas Hill Country sometime in February! I have my Butler map ready, and have a working knowledge of Texas from around Ft. Worth down to Corpus Christi, and have been across the Mexican border through Brownsville many time back in my youth, in the 70's. I was stationed at Ft. Hood for a couple of months before moving over to Vietnam, and had a great time with my girlfriend (now my wive of 40 years) exploring the beaches of Galveston and Padre Island. This is my first trip further west in Texas, and am wondering if the weather in February will accommodate camping? I'm a cold weather rider (it was 0 degrees this morning in my town on my way to Mickey-D's coffee at 6:00 for a 10 mile ride each way) so I'm not all that delicate and can stand camping down into the high 20"s, but wonder if it will be any colder than that in this part of Texas at this time of year. I understand that there could be exceptions, and will stay aware of changing conditions, but just wanted to get a feel for the average. Looking at some information, it looks like Big Bend National is closed in January for animal habitat maintenance, but think it will be opened by February. I'm retired, so it doesn't really matter what time in February would be my best bet, and can easily wait till the end or beginning of March if need be.

As far as routes, I've got the Butler map as a starting reference, and would welcome any advice on secondary gravel roads that would be conducive to a F700GS who is a fairly new off pavement rider. On pavement, I'm just a bit over the 100,000 mile mark, (not all miles on a BMW though, but don't hold that against please...:), ) so I feel confident mostly for this to be a solo ride.

Thanks in advance for any advice...Walt E.

We see down into the high twenties in January but rarely in February. Bear in mind the park ranges in elevation from about 1800 feet to 6700 feet which does have a bearing. But you should expect highs in the 70s or 80s with lows in the 40s or 50s - with an occasional dip into the 30s maybe, especially up in the Chisos basin. The weather masters could always provide a surprise though so be prepared for colder too. If it turns real nasty come see our bunkhouse.

As plans firm up pm me or Voni and we can provide more detailed information.

We see down into the high twenties in January but rarely in February. Bear in mind the park ranges in elevation from about 1800 feet to 6700 feet which does have a bearing. But you should expect highs in the 70s or 80s with lows in the 40s or 50s - with an occasional dip into the 30s maybe, especially up in the Chisos basin. The weather masters could always provide a surprise though so be prepared for colder too. If it turns real nasty come see our bunkhouse.

As plans firm up pm me or Voni and we can provide more detailed information.

Will do! The weather sounds perfect! I'm getting more excited as I type!

Walt.......Hey you finally made it to the "retarded" group.......Have been thinking about a trip to Lubbock to see a friend but February/March is kind of in the middle of our snowy time. I might make it our of the house then but might not make it back home till spring thaw. Yang would be overjoyed though.

Walt.......Hey you finally made it to the "retarded" group.......Have been thinking about a trip to Lubbock to see a friend but February/March is kind of in the middle of our snowy time. I might make it our of the house then but might not make it back home till spring thaw. Yang would be overjoyed though.

Lubbock is 300 miles north of the Big Bend, up in the Panhandle. The weather is markedly different.

Thanks for the admission to the group Jack, although it probably isn't a politically correct group name anymore ;-) . I can't say that I'm interested in the panhandle area of Texas, although Deb and I once spent a very memorable day of horse back riding outside of Amarillo Texas in Palo Duro Canyon. Found a ranch that rented horses, and the owner said that if we could catch and saddle our own horses, we could head down into the canyon far as long as we wanted for the day, as he wanted the horses exercised....
The canyon was breath taking from the back of a couple of horses, and I've never found another place to rent horses to beat Amarillo.....We owned horses up in Missouri for 20 years, so the rancher was pleasantly surprised that we were competent, and I guess our ability to round up a couple out of his herd was our test...:)

I can't say that I'm interested in the panhandle area of Texas, although Deb and I once spent a very memorable day of horse back riding outside of Amarillo Texas in Palo Duro Canyon.

The jewel in the vastness of flat!

I did a ride in the second week in March thru big bend. I had never been before but the weather was FANTASTIC sunny, a little chilly, the place was EMPTY except the camp grounds and in park lodging was full. I rode the area for 2 days and did not see a sole except for the few lodging sites and hotel in Terlingua.

Having no other season to compare against I really LOVED my trip thru. I have planned the same trip for the third weekend in April again this year.

See you there.

I have planned the same trip for the third weekend in April again this year.

We've been there 3 or 4 times in April and the weather is nice that time of year. A couple times it hit 100 at the lower elevations.
If it looks like it's going to be a cooker, head up to Chicos Basin or Davis Mountains.
The Observatory is well worth a visit. http://mcdonaldobservatory.org/

We've been there 3 or 4 times in April and the weather is nice that time of year. A couple times it hit 100 at the lower elevations.
If it looks like it's going to be a cooker, head up to Chicos Basin or Davis Mountains.
The Observatory is well worth a visit. http://mcdonaldobservatory.org/

It was 88 (87.9 actually) degrees on the River Road this afternoon. A beautiful day for a ride to Presidio and back.

you guys are making me SO jealous.

I am from Flatastan aka Florida and I love the mountains and curvy roads out there.

Gotta make it this April.

Wow, that 86 degree level looks real sweet about now, as I look out at my ice covered driveway. I tried to shovel through it this morning but it's glued on...:-( No where near as bad as the folks in the north east have, but still, it's not possible to get up the drive from the garage. Looks to be cold for the next week, so no real melting to look forward to. DSC01149.jpg

That's our Big Bend Bluebonnet.

http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=LUHA

It's usually the first spring flower we see. Sometime around Christmas :dance
and I've seem them last till May.

Voni
sMiling

Willie and Emmylou

Can you hear the music in your head?

Gulf coast highway, he worked the rails
He worked the rice fields with their cold dark wells
He worked the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico
The only thing we've owned is this old house here by the road

And when he dies he says he'll catch some blackbird's wing
And we will fly away to heaven
Come some sweet blue bonnet spring

She walked through springtime when I was home
The days were sweet, our nights were warm
The seasons changed, the jobs would come
The flowers fade, and this old house felt so alone
When the work took me away

And when she dies she says she'll catch some blackbird's wing
And she will fly away to heaven

Highway 90, the jobs are gone
We kept our garden, we set the sun
This is the only place on Earth blue bonnets grow
And once a year they come and go
At this old house here by the road

And when we die we say we'll catch some blackbird's wing
And we will fly away to heaven

Yes when we die we say we'll catch some blackbird's wing
And we will fly away together

Thank you Voni. It warms the cockles of our frozen hearts to know that spring will be here sometime.

Back