• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best inexpensive airhead improvements/upgrades...

I get your Question but I think expensive relative to what? A new corvette or a new bagger Harley, What your going to have to decide to do is go through EVERY system on your bike and upgrade/renew everything that will make your bike safe ,reliable and rideable then go out there and ride it. My 81rt was 1600 with 1800 worth of parts to get a great rideable upgraded bike .That's what you should be doing with all it may entail. Some things are not inexpensive if you want real reliability and safety your end goal. You're lucky there are so many great helpers around here!

Best inexpensive airhead improvements/upgrades

I would highly suggest tuning up the loose nut at the handlebar as the most effective inexpensive airhead improvement/upgrade.

Check out some of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation advanced courses such as their one day ARC (advanced riding course) or the slow speed UBBC one day school (ultimate bike bonding class) for a challenge and possibly acquiring new skills and understanding. Perhaps some of the offerings from Lee Parks Total Control classes. Maybe even a track day experience.

The best running motorcycle is only as good as it's operator.

There is a story of a BMW racer who spent stupid money to build the best BMW twin racer. Hired all the best known names to make the bike a winner. If it didn't win he just hired somebody else for more money to build him a winner. Finally yelled enough at the current builder who listened for a while, then told him he knew exactly what the problem was......"fast bike, slow rider"!!!!!

Friedle

I get your Question but I think expensive relative to what? A new corvette or a new bagger Harley, What your going to have to decide to do is go through EVERY system on your bike and upgrade/renew everything that will make your bike safe ,reliable and rideable then go out there and ride it. My 81rt was 1600 with 1800 worth of parts to get a great rideable upgraded bike .That's what you should be doing with all it may entail. Some things are not inexpensive if you want real reliability and safety your end goal. You're lucky there are so many great helpers around here!

Hmm. I'm certainly willing to spend up to $2K more on the bike in the short term, if it takes that. I am reviewing all the systems and components on the bike and physically examining those that are outside of the crankcase. I am replacing items that I can see are worn or that I judge are prone to failure; at present that includes cables, hoses, brake shoes, and perhaps some other rubber/plastic parts.

I have no plans at present to tear down the entire bike. I am not going to just willy-nilly "upgrade/renew everything" that will make the bike safe, reliable, and rideable. Everything is a pretty tall order. Perhaps I am misinterpreting what you are recommending? A certain amount of judgment is called for I think. For instance, I have no plans to upgrade/renew the main bearings, the valve seats, clutch, timing chain/gears to improve safety/reliability since the bike currently exhibits no adverse symptoms involving those areas. Someday all those things may need doing, but why do them before they are really needed? If it ain't broke... etc.

I am trying to ensure a reasonable degree of safety. But with tongue slightly in cheek I will say that if safety were really my end goal, I would not have ridden motorcycles for the past 45 years. :huh

Back