• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bench Racing: WEC GP of Slovakia

mika

Still Wondering
GP of Slovakia
Today, June 21, 2009, 4 hours ago

Podium success for Salminen at GP of Slovakia

Seven-time World Enduro Champion Juha Salminen has claimed the BMW Motorrad Motorsport teamÔÇÖs best result at the GP of Slovakia, placing a solid third in the Enduro 2 class on day two of the fifth round of the ÔÇÖ09 WEC series. Following on from his double runner-up E2 result at the GP of Finland, Salminen, like all riders, faced some of the most challenging conditions this season on day one as continuous heavy rain resulted in extremely slippery special tests and an exceptionally challenging course.

Winning the Friday night Super Test aboard his G 450 X SalminenÔÇÖs event started in the best possible way. Carrying a slender advantage into the first full day of competition a promising opening lap saw the Finn battling at the very top of the Enduro 2 class. With the constant rain and increasingly slippery special tests ensuring that mistakes were easy to make survival was the name of the game for almost all riders. Making a few mistakes of his own Salminen dropped from the top three in the E2 class and come the end of the day missed the podium by just one position finishing fourth.

With conditions drier on day two and with extensive alterations having been made to certain sections of both the motocross and enduro tests Juha made an encouraging start, again running at the head of the E2 class. Keeping mistakes to a minimum while doing everything he could to repeat his runner-up result from his home round of the championship, Juha eventually placed third in class following a day of consistent special test performances.

Simo Kirssi enjoyed a successful weekend in Slovakia, placing just one position behind Salminen on day one in fifth. 15 seconds adrift of his countryman at the end of the demanding day, Kirssi put in one of his best ever WEC performances to claim a well-deserved E2 class result. On day two Kirssi again performed well but placed seventh, just seven seconds behind the eventual fifth placed rider. Juha and Simo now sit third and seventh respectively in the Enduro 2 world championship standings.

Joining the BMW Motorrad Motorsport team in Slovakia for what was one of two wild card outings in the ÔÇÖ09 WEC series was former seven-time enduro world champion Anders Eriksson. Despite competing as the last rider in the Enduro 2 class Anders battled his way through the opening day and onto a 12th place finish. On day two Anders improved his result by one position to place 11th. Eriksson will again join the team at the final round of the series in France.

Finding conditions tough in Slovakia Marko Tarkkala came through the challenging event with two eight place results in the Enduro 3 class. Pushing as hard as he could the Finn made several mistakes during both dayÔÇÖs of competition, which prevented him from claiming better results. Tarkkala sits sixth in the Enduro 3 world championship standings.

Juha Salminen ÔÇô Enduro 2 class: ÔÇ£The conditions were really difficult this weekend, and to be honest I struggled on day one because it was so slippery. I think most riders found it hard but I was disappointed that I didnÔÇÖt finish third. I made some mistakes and that stopped me from finishing on the podium. Still, it wasnÔÇÖt too bad. The second day was better and the special tests were a lot drier. It was hard to enjoy the event on day one because it was so slippery everywhere, but day two was ok. I enjoyed the fact that the enduro test on day two was almost completely different to the one on day one.ÔÇØ

Simo Kirssi ÔÇô Enduro 2 class:
ÔÇ£The weekend was very similar to last weekendÔÇÖs race in Finland for me in terms of my results, but a lot harder because of the weather. I didnÔÇÖt have any big problems on either day, which I was pleased about. The conditions were very hard for both riders and machinery. I think this will be one of those races that you look back on and enjoy, but during the event it was really tough.ÔÇØ

Anders Eriksson ÔÇô Enduro 2 class:
ÔÇ£ItÔÇÖs been hard but I enjoyed it. Starting right at the back of the E2 class didnÔÇÖt make things any easier for me but IÔÇÖve enjoyed my return to the WEC. I knew that I wouldnÔÇÖt be fighting for podium positions, I just wanted to show what could be done on a bike thatÔÇÖs basically standard. The first day was almost just a case of survival. I made plenty of mistakes but generally it all went ok. On day two I hoped to finish inside the top 10 but I just missed doing that. IÔÇÖll be back to compete in the final round in France, which IÔÇÖm looking forward to. I think that will be my last world championship race.ÔÇØ

Marko Tarkkala ÔÇô Enduro 3 class: ÔÇ£ItÔÇÖs been a hard race for me, but I got to the finish of both days so I guess I have to be pleased with that. The conditions were really bad on the first day. It was impossible not to make mistakes. I did my best but IÔÇÖm not really pleased with eight on both days.ÔÇØ

2009 World Enduro Championship
Grand Prix of Slovakia ÔÇô Day 1

Enduro 2 class

1. Johnny Aubert (KTM) 41:33.14; 2. Bartosz Oblucki (Husqvarna) 41:43.15; 3. Joakim Ljunggren (Husaberg) 42:39.26; 4. Juha Salminen (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) 43:07.41; 5. Simo Kirssi (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) 43:22.36; 6. Cristobal Guerrero (Yamaha) 43:24.79; 7. Rodrig Thain (TM) 44:18.85; 8. Alessandro Belometti (KTM) 45:44.81; 9. Luca Cherubini (TM) 47:26.63; 10. Hans Vogels (Yamaha) 48:19.6912. Anders Eriksson (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) 48:51.56

Enduro 3 Class

1. Christophe Nambotin (Gas Gas) 42:00.11; 2. Samuli Aro (KTM) 43:07.22; 3. Stefan Svitko (KTM) 44:10.40; 4. Marcus Kehr (KTM) 44:12.63; 5. Ivan Cervantes (KTM) 44:45.35; 6. Sebastien Guillaume (Husqvarna) 47:36.63; 7. Zlatko Novosad (Gas Gas) 48:30.04; 8. Marko Tarkkala (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) 51:47.64; 9. Rudy Cotton (Beta) 56:15.74; 10. Michal Kadlecek (TM) 1.04:30.72

2009 World Enduro Championship
Grand Prix of Slovakia ÔÇô Day 2

Enduro 2 class

1. Johnny Aubert (KTM) 28:16.35; 2. Bartosz Oblucki (Husqvarna) 28:38.83; 3. Juha Salminen (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) 29:21.21; 4. Joakim Ljunggren (Husaberg) 29:23.10; 5. Rodrig Thain (TM) 30:10.59; 6. Cristobal Guerrero (Yamaha) 30:15.77; 7. Simo Kirssi (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) 30:18.28; 8. Mike Hartmann (Husaberg) 30:31.82; 9. Valtteri Salonen (Husaberg) 30:39.79; 10. Fabrizio Dini (Beta) 30:59.23; 11. Anders Eriksson (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) 30:59.94

Enduro 3 Class

1. Christophe Nambotin (Gas Gas) 28:38.88; 2. Samuli Aro (KTM) 29:18.63; 3. Sebastien Guillaume (Husqvarna) 29:25.08; 4. Marcus Kehr (KTM) 29.25.85; 5. Ivan Cervantes (KTM) 29:57.19; 6. Alessandro Botturi (KTM) 31:08.92; 7. Zlatko Novosad (Gas Gas) 31:28.31; 8. Marko Tarkkala (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) 32:20.77; 9. Michal Kadlecek (TM) 33:46.86; 10. Rudy Cotton (Beta) 38:43.48

Back