• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

bearing or ball joint?

515PHOTO

Hi All.
2018 r1200RT LC
Anyone know if the front lower fork brace, which bolts up to the trailing arm, has a bearing or ball joint at the end of the bolt? The fiche has the brace as one piece--doesn't show what is inside. I am guessing a ball joint as I think it should need to flex at that spot as suspension compresses or expands--but not sure. Thanks.

Hi All.
2018 r1200RT LC
Anyone know if the front lower fork brace, which bolts up to the trailing arm, has a bearing or ball joint at the end of the bolt? The fiche has the brace as one piece--doesn't show what is inside. I am guessing a ball joint as I think it should need to flex at that spot as suspension compresses or expands--but not sure. Thanks.

There is a ball joint contained within the lower fork bridge. The maintenance manual does not break down the fork bridge itself so it does not explicitly say there is a ball joint in there.

I'm curious, why do you ask? Every bike I've owned since 1993 has had a telelever and I have never once had an issue. I think I had to periodically check the torque on the ball joint on the oilheads I owned, by my 2005 RT and my current R1250RT have zero scheduled maintenance for the front suspension.

There is a ball joint contained within the lower fork bridge. The maintenance manual does not break down the fork bridge itself so it does not explicitly say there is a ball joint in there.

I'm curious, why do you ask? Every bike I've owned since 1993 has had a telelever and I have never once had an issue. I think I had to periodically check the torque on the ball joint on the oilheads I owned, by my 2005 RT and my current R1250RT have zero scheduled maintenance for the front suspension.

The early Wedge K’s had a few presenting low speed lane drift needing a lot of input to go straight. Replacing that ball joint corrected the occurrence. Have seen a few 1100 Oilhead GS’s with loose, knocking joint.
Nothing serviceable for sure and the latest generations seem fine.

The early Wedge K’s had a few presenting low speed lane drift needing a lot of input to go straight. Replacing that ball joint corrected the occurrence. Have seen a few 1100 Oilhead GS’s with loose, knocking joint.
Nothing serviceable for sure and the latest generations seem fine.

I remember now. That knocking was why you had to periodically torque it as it would do that if loose. Happened once on my old '94 R1100RS. After that I did the periodic maintenance and it never happened again.

I never touched it on my 2005 RT which I had almost 14 years as it never loosened up and the manual did not specify any maintenance. It had about 130k miles on when I sold it. I do remember checking it for tightness a couple of times.

That is indeed what I am referring too. I had the top clamp off recently and then saw play at that spot that made sense if it was a ball joint but concerning if it was a bearing. Looks like all is good. Thanks all.

Back