• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ARAI XD Helmet Questions

klrobins

Hi All,

What the opinion of the ARAI XD helmet? How is it at highway speeds? Do you really have to take the peak off? Any other comments? Noisy? The peak seems like a good idea for sunrise and sunset rides to keep the sun out of my eyes.

Also, does anyone know the contact info (email or telephone) for an ARAI rep in Canada (preferably) or the US? I'm tired of calling dealerships who want to charge me 20% just to bring in a helmet for me to try on. I want to call the Arai rep directly.

Arai certianly isnt making it very easy for me to buy their helmet!!!

Also, any tips on best place (cheapest) online to order helmets?

Thanks!!!

Kristi from Canada

Hey now,

I have an XD which I got from my Max BMW Motorcycles.

The "terminal velocity" of the beak, i.e. the point when lift is an issue will vary depending on the bike and screen.

On the HP2 lift occurs at about 50 mph and gets obnoxious at 60. This is on pavement, in the woods the speed is so up and down that you will likely never notice it.

On the R12GS Adventure with the screen all the way up lift is not an issue until over 75.

I can't help you on finding a rep.

Best,

Rob Nye

:wave welcome to the club.

Yes, it's (not) noisy

It's very air-conditioned (summer helmet)

I don't have a problem with lift on either an R1150GS or the F650GS-Dakar. However saying that, when you turn your head left or right to look over your shoulder it takes quite a bit of muscle to face forward again. (but not much)

I like the full visor over wearing goggles with an MX helmet.

Nice helmet, but not the best for high-speed touring.

Only annoying problem on the R1150GS at highway speeds it forces the 'beak' down (not up) but down in a constant shuttering.

Can't help with dealer support.

Good luck

I have had mine for about 18 months now and love it. It's all subjective about noise etc, however I feel at speeds below 50 mph on an 1150 Adv, it is okay for noise, but noisier than my Shoei, not surprising since it is not really a fair comparison. The XD is a dirt bike style helmet in that it has the minimum padding in it compared to a tour helmet, it has an extended chin bar that allows draughts and noise to rise, lots of venting that contributes to noise...no chin curtain like the Shoei.

I never take the peak off because frankly it is a great sun visor and air spoiler. On the highway I find I lean my head forward and use it to help the windshield do what it doesn't do (I am too tall for the stock shield on the bike) and it helps to direct rain away from my visor somewhat too.

My buddy rides a lot without the peak as he is a road rider and he loves it, no complaints at all, and claims it is much quieter than with a peak. Positive features are that without visor you can ride with goggles if you wish, the padding comes standard with headset speaker pockets in the liner, lots of venting, light, balanced, sharp looking.

Things that I see as a pain but not so much that I want to be rid of it, are the visor and peak share the same screw and you have to align both to set the screw in place - does not sound like much but when you are spoiled with a QD Shoei visor system you just get spoiled on the roadside if you wish to switch to tint or clear visor. You really become a believer in wearing ear plugs on highway rides for comfort (my experience may be diff than yours), price. I add price simply because for a dirtbike helmet that are other choices that make sense to consider. Such as Simpson for example, a great looking helmet and just as functional.

As for dealers perhaps contact Arai and seek a dealer listing?

soneone's on crack...I have bought three XD's helmets ONLINE from xtrememotorcycles.com..they are cheapr and great service...

I have no problems with my XD at highway speeds (>70mph) - 3 years of experience. Based on a suggestion from David who owns Best Rest, I added 5 stick on wheel weights to the underside of the peak to minimize any vibrations at speed...works great.
As said above, it's a summer helmet as great ventilation but therefore cold when the temps drop.
Greg

soneone's on crack...I have bought three XD's helmets ONLINE from xtrememotorcycles.com..they are cheapr and great service...

this url generates this message:

Auto Trader Dealer Directory - Dealer Page Server
Sorry we have been unable to locate the dealer web site you requested.

This may be due to two reasons:

1. The Dealer web site no longer exists.
2. Your browser does not support the HTTP 1.1 specification.

Please try again later or contact Auto Trader Customer services

maybe you're the crackhead! :p :stick

i love my XD. i've never had a problem with the fluttering beak, and it rarely catches the wind, except in head turns, and only on occasion.

i did have a visor wear out and stop staying fully open. a replacement visor and parts were very reasonably priced.

and as others have mentioned above, the helmet lets in a lot of air.

last... i do notice that with this helmet, when i wear earplugs that seal the ear, that i am much more sensitive to pressure variations that cause a "thundering" type of wind noise. man, i find this annoying. when i ride with this helmet in a clean windestream, say, with my G/S this isn't a problem. but if there is a windshield that moves air out of the way, the vacuum behind the shield causes the pressure variations and the thundering begins.

ian

Thanks for the input everyone... I placed my order online today... called around and the cheapest price was in Florida, with free shipping in the US. Its 393US for the helmet and a shield.

I found the canadian distribution guy... he's about 45 minutes away but wouldnt let me come there to try things on or anything... The problem (in canada anyway) is that the stores have to purchase the stock for their displays... so they dont bring in XD's for some reason... If i wanted one brought in to try on I had to pay 20% non-refundable up front. Lame!!

Anyway, I'm saving about 1/3 of the price (or more) by ordering from the US, so for any fellow canucks, this may be a route to consider.

Picking up my new GS tomorrow... the snow isnt quite melted yet here... but it'll be gone soon!!

Kristi

Well I have to admit, I am wrong. Arai has changed their policy on reselling online. But you might want to read this page http://www.araiamericas.com/news.asp?Article=News/Headline_beware.asp plus you might want to look for this logo:
e_dealer%20logo.JPG

although it does not mean anything as you can see how easily I included it...

I'm not too concerned about ordering online. I called the shop as well. I'm fairly confident that everything will be fine.... I'll repost when I get my merchandise.

K

XD Lenses

Does anybody out there know a source for replacement lenses? I'd like to have a tinted lense and an extra clear......Thanks!

Does anybody out there know a source for replacement lenses? I'd like to have a tinted lense and an extra clear......Thanks!

Anyone who sells the helmet should be able to order replacement faceshields. I'm ordering a replacement tinted faceshield with my helmet. I think it was around $40US but dont quote me on that.

Kristi

Back