• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Aftermarket Windshield

915e

Aftermarket Windshield (now installed w/pics)

I want to replace the OEM windshield on my 08 R1200GS to gain a little height. I think I looked at all the available option and really like the Puig Touring Windsreen. It is about 2" taller and, most importantly to me, retains the angular look of the OEM version as I do not like the more rounded designs of the other aftermarket manufacturers.

Link: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-touring-windscreen-bmw-r1200gs-2005-2012

I searched here for a review but didn't come up with anything. So if one of you is using the Puig w/s I would like to get your opinion.

Thanks!

Update and pictures in post # 9

Last edited:
WShield

I reccomend the Givi AirFlow. I an over grown guy 6'3" and it gives me the best air I ever had on a motorcycle. I use it with the sliding part in the lowest position. I ride an 08 gs as well.
BTW thanks for your service.

Mike

Givi AirFlow

I reccomend the Givi AirFlow. I an over grown guy 6'3" and it gives me the best air I ever had on a motorcycle. I use it with the sliding part in the lowest position. I ride an 08 gs as well.
BTW thanks for your service.

Mike

Mike,

I looked at the Givi w/s as well. Although I am sure that it is very functional I am not to keen about the looks; I am trying to retain the stock look. I guess I prefer style over functionality.

Thank you for your input!

Hans

I just ordered the Puig w/s and should get it next week. I will post some pictures and will share my driving impressions once I get a chance to install and test drive.

Thank you for everybody's input,

Hans

Finally installed my new W/S

The w/s I received was scratched; yesterday the replacement arrived in good condition. Installation was pretty straight forward, just a matter of switching out the hard ware. The Puig is about 2 inches taller than stock and about 1/2 narrower at the top.

I haven't driven the bike yet but I think it'll be right on as far as height goes, I definitely like the looks; even my wife said it looks better and she usually doesn't care much about my toys. If you take a close look you can see my newly installed Grip Puppies (they really called that); they make a huge different in comfort compared to the puny stock rubber grips. I did use a little bit to much dish soap/water solution as an installation aid, it took almost a week to evaporate and before the grips stopped slipping.

I think I am done with modifying because the bike fits me perfectly now, here is what I did; front and rear Sargent seats, 20mm handle bar risers, taller w/s, grip puppies, large foot brake pedal, larger foot pegs. I was considering an Acropovich muffler but I like the bike being quiet especially after my last HD with V&H exhaust. The one thing I might do is to get my exhaust header Jet Hot coated because I think they are an eyesore (on all boxers for that matter) because BMW did a lousy job with their coating or by omitting to use double wall pipe.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 110
I took the bike on a 100 mile drive this weekend and the Puig w/s is perfect for me. It provides more wind protection then the OEM version and also keeps the wind noise down.

Back