• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Aftermarket brake pads?

EBC have worked well for me for years. Organic type and same as BMW and if you want longer life get the sintered versions however they will wear your rotors a little quicker as they stop more aggressively. I prefer the organic type on my 1100RT.

PS: stating the year and model of your bike with questions is highly recommended or you just get generic guessing which is often off the mark and not helpful.
Also helps to fill in your user profile with your location so that people local to you can offer help and suggestions. Some might even come over and help you! Most of us are old, retired and bored anyway... :gerg

EBC pads

As Happy Wanderer says, EBC are good. Lots of forums will verify. Do your research.

Save some money, look up your bike's pads on their website and order from amazon.

Are aftermarket brake pads better or worse than OEM brake pads? They sure are a lot cheaper. Thanks, Dave

I had a lot of rear rotor wear with the OE Rear pads. None I can see using Carbon Loraine. BUT the CL pads on the front make a whirring noise, that other pads do not. So not using them again on the front. Not taking chances on the rear, the rotor is at 4.6MM and I do not want more wear.

Rod

EBC HH is what you want.

No personal experience, but I read reviews of the EBC sintered with beemers which reported problems with the sintered pads kicking in the abs too soon.

Based on that I just ordered some EBC FA407 pads on amazon. Those are not the pads you'd recommend then? (Organic, kevlar I think).

2000 r1100rt

No personal experience, but I read reviews of the EBC sintered with beemers which reported problems with the sintered pads kicking in the abs too soon.

Based on that I just ordered some EBC FA407 pads on amazon. Those are not the pads you'd recommend then? (Organic, kevlar I think).

2000 r1100rt

The HH pads are sintered and stop more aggressively. I use them on the twin front rotors. On the back I use the OEM organic pads or the EBC equivalent as they are a bit softer and easier on the rear rotor which is really a bit small for the app I think. Pads are cheaper than rotors is my thinking here and also most of your hard braking should be done on the front anyway. Use the rear to "set up" the bike for stopping and it helps keep the nose up if you hit the rear first but then transition to the front which is where I get on them a bit harder.

'99 R1100S ABS brake pads

BE SURE you are ordering TWO SETS of pads, left and right for the front. Don't ask me...

Amazon had them cheaper and got them here quicker:

EBC Brakes FA363HH Disc Brake Pad Set
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$28.05

BE SURE you are ordering TWO SETS of pads, left and right for the front. Don't ask me...

Amazon had them cheaper and got them here quicker:

EBC Brakes FA363HH Disc Brake Pad Set
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$28.05

EBC FA363 Brake Pads are the rear pads - only one set needed.
Front pads are EBC FA407 or FA246 - two sets needed.

I had a lot of rear rotor wear with the OE Rear pads. None I can see using Carbon Loraine. BUT the CL pads on the front make a whirring noise, that other pads do not. So not using them again on the front. Not taking chances on the rear, the rotor is at 4.6MM and I do not want more wear.

Rod

Did you change rotors at the same time as the pads on the front? I installed the Carbone Lorraine A3 pads and ABM rotors from Beemer Boneyard / Spiegler on a 2002 R1150RT. There was initially some pulsing from high spots around some of the the cross drilled holes. After getting that sorted out and everything broken in, the whirring began. At higher speeds you don't notice it and as you approach a stop it goes away at low speed. They stop nicely, just a bit an an odd sound and not sure if it is the pads or the rotors. Before anyone makes a whizzy brakes comment, it does it with the key turned "off" so the servos and rear brake are out of the picture.

Last edited:
I ordered EBC brake pads and received them today. While waiting for them to come I noticed that the squealing I heard coming from my brakes weren't caused by the pads but someting else. When I gently apply the brakes (front or rear) the squealing starts even when the bike is not moving. If I apply more pressure then the squealing stops. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Thanks, Dave

On which bike? If its the '04 CL, that's the brake servo noise you're hearing, a/k/a "whizzy brakes". Normal.....

Back