• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A four "Notch" ride thru NH

sddinnh

We who live in New Hampshire, and Northern New England in general, are blessed with an abundance of great bike roads. I am also blessed because for the past two years, I have been able to take Fridays off from May thru September. That means I can take advantage of those great roads on days when the tourist traffic is at a minimum.

This morning, I headed out and turned left out of the driveway. Tens hours later, after having passed thru three states, 350 miles, and passing thru four mountain notches (gaps to those of you who live farther South), I turned right into my driveway and turned off the engine. Another great day on the R1200RT.

My travels took me across Rte 202 to Rochester and then North, up Rte 16 for a breakfast stop in Ossipee NH. From there, I continued North up Route 16 and passed thru Pinkham Notch (just below Mt. Washington) and down into the town of Gorham NH.

Pinkham Notch & Mount Washington

MtWashington.jpg

At Gorham NH, I decided to take a little "jog" and so I left Rte 16 and turned onto Rte 2 East over to Bethel Maine. I was a little chargrined to find that sections of Rte 2 between Gorham and Bethel were under constuction, so there were some short sections of dirt, but I was committed by then.

At Bethel, I picked up Rte 26 North up thru Grafton Notch for a stop at lake Umbagog and then proceeded down into Errol NH.

Grafton Notch

GraftonNotch1.jpg

Lake Umbagog

LakeUmbagog.jpg

At Errol, I continued on Rte 26 thru Dixville Notch. I couldn't help but stop and take the obligitory photo of the bike in front of the Balsams Hotel which was started in Dixville just after the Civil War as the Dix House. It was added onto and renamed in 1895 to the Balsams. It must have been a heck of a place to get to in the late 1800's by horse and buggy.

The Balsams

TheBalsams3.jpg

TheBalsams1.jpg

From Dixville, I followed Rte 26 down into Colebrook NH and then crossed the Connecticut River into Vermont. I turned South on Rte 102 and followed the river down to where Rte 102 joined Rte 2 and took me back into Lancaster NH. At Lancaster, I turned South onto Rte 3 and proceeded down thru Whitefield NH and then down into Twin Mountains.

The Connecticut River

TheConnecticutRiver.jpg

I made Twin Mountains in time for a stop at Monroe's Diner for one of their great 3 egg omlettes. They're only open until 2:00 PM, but they serve breakfast from the time they open at 6:00 Am until they close. So after a great brunch, I headed on down Rte 3 and proceed South thru Franconia Notch.

Franconia Notch

FranconiaNotch3.jpg

FranconiaNotch2.jpg

FranconiaNotch1.jpg

Just South of Woodstock NH, I turned onto Rte 175 South. This is a gem of a road that parrelles the busier Rte 3 which lies on the opposite side of the river. Rte 175 took me South to intersect Rte 3 again just South of Ashland NH. I followed Rte 3 South again to Rte 25, where I turned West toward Moultonboro. At Moultonboro, I turned South on Rte 109 and went down the backside of Lake Winnipesaukee so I could stop for an ice cream by the lake.

Lake Winnipesaukee

LakeWinnipesaukee.jpg

I picked up Rte 28 in Wolfboro and followed it South until I hit Rte 4 and was on the home stretch. A few miles on Rte 4 and I was home. The back roads up here are still showing signs of last winter (frost heaves), but all in all, it was still another great day on the backroads of Northern New England.

Home sweet home. Well, just across the river anyway.

Be mindful of your speed this weekend. I passed thru seven (7) speed traps this afternoon on my 12 mile ride home. I think the state of Vermont is exploring alternative means of raising revenue. Not sure if other New England states are doing the same.

Home sweet home. Well, just across the river anyway.

Be mindful of your speed this weekend. I passed thru seven (7) speed traps this afternoon on my 12 mile ride home. I think the state of Vermont is exploring alternative means of raising revenue. Not sure if other New England states are doing the same.

My stretch of "Vermont" was 102 from Rte 26 to Rte 2. No speed traps and stretches of 102 in that area have been re-paved - very nice!!!.

In fact for the whole 350 miles the only police car I saw was a NH State Trooper going the other way between Twin Mtn & Franconia, but I don't doubt they'll be out there as the traffic builds over the weekend.

As a "by the way" has anyone been thru Evens Notch on 113 in Maine? I saw the sign for it at the junc of 113 and 2 and it runs North / South just East of Rte 16. It might make a nice bypass for Conway and Pinkham Notch as the tourist season picks up. Rumor has it that they're patroling West Side Road pretty heavily, but I saw no evidence of that when I went up it today.

. . . has anyone been thru Evens Notch on 113 in Maine?

I ride the western ME & NH White Mountain roads regularly. Great area. Route 113 is definitely worth riding. ItÔÇÖs not maintained in winter (closed) but it's in good condition, narrow in places, a very scenic ride through the backcountry then past some nice farmland. It comes out to 302 in Fryeburg or you can take Hurricane Mountain Road off to the right in North Fryeburg for more scenic riding and youÔÇÖll come out on 302 in North Conway.

Great Report. I enjoyed seeing some of my old haunts. I grew up in NH and still call Moultonboro home, although I have not lived there in 15 years. The USAF has kept me away, but we will return upon my retirement in a few years.

Scott

Got the oppurtunity back in '98 to drive in the New England 1000 vintage car rally. Drove a 1950 Kurtis Sport the first day of the rally, from Basin Harbour down to Middlebury, where I handed off the car to the owner. Back in Basin Harbor, I picked up my '74 R90/6 and drove around middle Vermount. Did Smugglers Notch, Mount Mansfield, Burlington. Rode down south and took the ferry over to Ft. Ticonderoga. Really enjoyed riding that part of the country, would like to go back there and ride some more. Nice pics

Awesome ride. I'm jealous. I usually try to get out there once a year. Unfortunately when I was there in July it poured the whole day.

Back