• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'99 r1100rt dash light

melter

I'm reviving a '99 rt and there is a small green light on the dash above the rocker switches. Could someone tell me the function?

Could be for an aftermarket alarm, could be illumination for the rocker switches.

My current RT has a red light in that position for the alarm (which I never use) that the original owner installed.

I've seen small lights installed in the dash so you can find the switches in the dark for the heated grips and warning flashers. On my previous RT I installed fiber optic lights in the corners of the switches to outline them a bit.

It's an after-market "something", as the '99 1100RT didn't have rocker switches on the panel (like the early K bikes did). The only stock green light was the rectangular neutral indicator.
Maybe we could help if you posted a picture... and/or tried to follow the wires back...

Last edited:
If the bike was equipped at some time with an Autoswitch, to control auxiliary lighting for example, then it could be an indicator light from the Autoswitch.

A good example of why electrical accessories or mods should always be documented in the bikeā€™s paperwork.

Best,
DeVern

It's an after-market "something", as the '99 1100RT didn't have rocker switches on the panel (like the early K bikes did). The only stock green light was the rectangular neutral indicator.
Maybe we could help if you posted a picture... and/or tried to follow the wires back...
Picture from ebay - and the light on this one, by the speedo reset, is also not stock.
View attachment 97351

The R1100RT has rocker switches on the dash panel to the left of the gauges, for heated grips, hazard flashers, and ABS reset, left to right. See this really old photo of my old bike:

Dashboard.jpg

Back