• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

91 K75RT Replacing tail and brake light with LED

WalterK75

I'm thinking of replacing my tail light and brake light with red LEDs on my 1991 K75RT.

The question is can I get a simple replacement bulb or will I have to add a resistor? I got the impression that some are simply plug and play.

Has anyone done this and what LED lights were used?

They will work, but, without the proper resistance, they will cause your bulb monitor to think the bulbs are bad.

:dance:dance:dance

I have added LED bulbs for the taillight and brake light on my K75S bikes. I also added some additional LED lights in the otherwise unused space on either side of the taillight and brakelight bulbs. I added the Lite Blazer beneath the license plate and added LED strip lights for tail light and brake light to the topcases. I have waterproof quick disconnects for when I want to remove the top cases.

Lite Blazer link follows -
http://www.run-n-lites.com/prod-LiteBlazer.html

These are what I added in the unused part of the taillight assembly to give more illumination on braking. The unused portion of the taillight is "V" shaped; I placed a section of the strip LEDs with 3 LEDs in each leg of the "V". Some soldering is needed -
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...18-smds-per-ft-3-chip-smd-led-5050/1622/3988/

As mentioned the bulb burnout indicator in the speedo/tach assembly will remain illuminated unless one adds some resistance to the LED bulbs. I did not add the resistors. When I apply the brakes, even with LEDs, there is enough current drawn (i.e., resistance) that the burnout indicator goes out. Thus, I now have an indicator that my brake lights are functioning.

LED bulbs were obtained from SuperBrightLEDs, it is necessary to get the correct size so they will fit through the hole. I am pretty sure that I ordered the bulb below (type 1156) for either the tail light or brake light. I don't recall what was used for the other location.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...rd-firing-cluster-ba15s-retrofit-car/169/764/

rosbsryder

I think you will find that since the resistors are in parallel to the leds that if you remove the leds that the resistors by themselves will fool your bulb monitoring module into thinking the brake or taillight leds are still working.

i have the run-n-lights mod to tail and turn signals. works well.

i also added skenedesign P3 LED tail and photonblaster amber front LED's. great combo.

Back