• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

76 R90/6 - Mystery Frame Bolt Loose

concernedparent

came back from a little ~15 mile jaunt around queens and when i got off the bike i saw this guy dancing around. common? anomaly? should i just tighten it and go on with my day? looks like it's just a frame bolt.

X7pM99a.jpg

Haven't this happen much. Makes sense to just inspect it and the area, tighten it, and see what happens over the next few rides. It appears to be a through bolt and because of the difficulty getting in there, the nut is likely welded to the inside of the frame. If it keeps loosening, I'd thoroughly clean the threads and use some blue Loctite to keep it from loosening.

Frame bolt

came back from a little ~15 mile jaunt around queens and when i got off the bike i saw this guy dancing around. common? anomaly? should i just tighten it and go on with my day? looks like it's just a frame bolt.

X7pM99a.jpg

Better to re-torque it to the correct spec. and then check after another ride.

It's important because it holds the rear half of the bike together.

RPGR90s

Looks like the one above it is completely gone. You might do a good walk around inspection.
IMG_8103.JPG

I would check every nut ad bolt

Surprising that things still look to be lined up and not bent. If I were the OP before I even pushed it out of the garage for another ride I would check every single nut, bolt, screw, clip and any other fasteners that might be loose. It makes me wonder who did what to it not to long ago and forgot to properly tighten those bolts, they both had a locking washer on them so someone missed a few basic items.

Looks like the one above it is completely gone. You might do a good walk around inspection.

Gary -

I think that is an open unused hole. I have the same thing on my /7...nothing's been mounted there for all these years. To be honest, I don't even remember what that would be used for.

You may be right Kurt but I think that open bolt hole may be lower than what I see in the original photo. Here's a photo of my hack, a '77:
P8210008.jpg

You know Kurt I wondered about those boltless holes as well. Being a hack guy, I know that we look for four good frame mounting points, two high and two low. I wonder if these may have been related to that? The most important things about the mounts is that they're spread out and that they're very solid. If you ran a heavy bolt/rod through these, that could tie the upper frame together for strength and provide a solid upper, rear sidecar mount. Just trying to make sense of German engineering...🤔

Gary -

Technically, models after the /2 series are not designed for sidecar use. I think BMW might even have stated as such...the frame just isn't designed for those kinds of loads. People do it all the time, but there's the engineering! It would be nice to know what the open hole behind the battery cover is for. Here's my /7 right side...note that the battery cover even has a cutout for it. I noticed the there is a similar cutout on the left side cover where the handle mounts. I'm wondering if there might have been some consideration for a handle on the right side...maybe for people who ride on the left side of the road! :stick

RightSideCover.jpg

After thirty-six years, 165,000 miles, three final drives, two transmissions, now you tell me that my frame isn't up to sidecar use. Oh well...:dunno

P1010002.JPG

I guess we're getting off topic, but Snowbum talks about sidecar technical aspects on this page...see his section on Subframes. He mentions that the early Airheads didn't have enough side-to-side bracing. But it might be that with the proper additional bracing, then the loads can be introduced better into the frame. He's an experienced sidecar rider, so I suspect he knows what he's talking about. I've always wondered how the front end on a stock post 1969 Airhead can handle the diving loads with the hack attached. That's what I thought was brilliant with the leading link or Earles front end...when the brakes are used, the frame more or less squats rather than nose dives...better suspension if a chair is attached.

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/sidecartech.htm

Back