• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

/5 Trans Rebuild

I'm finishing up a /5 trans rebuild, doing end play measurements since I replaced all six bearings. Looks like I'll need TWO 1 mm shims on the output shaft, which is way more than I've done on previous rebuilds. Anybody had this experience, or have I screwed something up?

It seems unlikely that I've left anything off the shaft; I even compared the shaft assembly to a couple fische diagrams. Help!

Fred Heiler

/5 Transmission

I'm finishing up a /5 trans rebuild, doing end play measurements since I replaced all six bearings. Looks like I'll need TWO 1 mm shims on the output shaft, which is way more than I've done on previous rebuilds. Anybody had this experience, or have I screwed something up?

It seems unlikely that I've left anything off the shaft; I even compared the shaft assembly to a couple fiche diagrams. Help!

Fred Heiler

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a classic "I screwed up," just in case it might help someone in the future. I went back and double-checked my assembly of the output shaft, and sure enough, I hadn't installed the 1.5 mm thrust washer between 1st gear and the rear bearing. With it in place, I simply needed a 0.40 mm shim to end up with the recommended 0.10 mm end play. Done.

First rule

LOL, the first rule if something isn't quite right after a rebuild or repair is "check your work". Nice catch and thanks for sharing. St.

It’s been quite a while since I rebuilt a /5 four speed, but I do remember a thrust washer on the helical cut fourth gear. Without it the gear will thrust against the aluminum case, not good for rebuild longevity.

It’s been quite a while since I rebuilt a /5 four speed, but I do remember a thrust washer on the helical cut fourth gear. Without it the gear will thrust against the aluminum case, not good for rebuild longevity.

This was the washer at the other end of the shaft, against 1st gear. It's not technically a thrust washer, since 1st gear is a straight-cut gear, but I wouldn't want to button up the box without it.

Back