• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2014 R1200RT Driveshaft Question

Milo172
Just found out my RT is part of the driveshaft replacement program.
I have 64,000 miles on the odo and was planning a 1000-mile trip for next weekend.

Question, are there 2014 owners out there with bikes of similar milage that have experienced a driveshaft failure?

If the number of incidents is very small, I'll probably chance the trip.

Could just have it in for an oil change, and get a new drive shaft installed while it's there.

I had no idea this was going on, dropped the bike off for a spring service today and they are replacing the driveshaft on my 15RT. It will be ready tomorrow. Guess it depends on where you are.

I have 64,000 miles on the odo and was planning a 1000-mile trip for next weekend.

Question, are there 2014 owners out there with bikes of similar milage that have experienced a driveshaft failure?

It’s only about a 90 minute job, however hopefully the shaft gets fully seated forward so the internal circle clip seats on the transmission spline grove. I unfortunately rode off feeling something was not right, turned back around, tech took it out but then refused to investigate his work, only started sighing well your tires are cupping, wrong air pressure, bla, bla, bla. What a joke. So thinking perhaps the replacement shaft was out f balance I just took it upon myself. I purchased a new shaft and then replaced it all myself.
Here is what I found out! The before noise center stand in gear at idle. Then my video removing, then my finished video of same center stand in gear at idle. Now it perfectly done. The dealership did refund my 80$ they charged for his pathetic test ride, however I’ll never return for service work ever again with him! I have always done all my own work myself anyway. Everyone can make a mistake, I’m no exception, However pride is the ultimate sin that takes everyone down and despite I sent him my videos, NO RESPONSE! That says it all.🤐
Here is a link to view my videos if you desire:
You might be able to just copy and paste the link into your browser as I’m not sure if you can click on this to work by doing that itself? Let me know if you can’t get to it and then I can send the link to you via your email.

If you’re not feeling vibration at the foot pegs your driveshaft is running true, if you feel vibration at the pegs stop riding it

It’s only about a 90 minute job, however hopefully the shaft gets fully seated forward so the internal circle clip seats on the transmission spline grove. I unfortunately rode off feeling something was not right, turned back around, tech took it out but then refused to investigate his work, only started sighing well your tires are cupping, wrong air pressure, bla, bla, bla. What a joke. So thinking perhaps the replacement shaft was out f balance I just took it upon myself. I purchased a new shaft and then replaced it all myself.
Here is what I found out! The before noise center stand in gear at idle. Then my video removing, then my finished video of same center stand in gear at idle. Now it perfectly done. The dealership did refund my 80$ they charged for his pathetic test ride, however I’ll never return for service work ever again with him! I have always done all my own work myself anyway. Everyone can make a mistake, I’m no exception, However pride is the ultimate sin that takes everyone down and despite I sent him my videos, NO RESPONSE! That says it all.🤐
You might be able to just copy and paste the link into your browser as I’m not sure if you can click on this to work by doing that itself? Let me know if you can’t get to it and then I can send the link to you via your email.

If a rider is capable the rider should do their own work to ensure an intimate relationship with their machine

I live in Maryville TN too

I have a 2016 RT-P that experienced drive shaft failure. The work order that I found in a pannier said the rear drive locked up and the bike was trailered into the shop. Since the bike had 59,000 miles, the PD decided to not have the work done and the bike was auctioned off to me. Somewhere the driveshaft was removed probably so the bike could be rolled around. I found a nice used shaft for sale and installed it after cleaning up the debris in the swingarm. After reading chrismilli’s story, I’m hesitant to take the bike in for driveshaft replacement?

I have a 2016 RT-P that experienced drive shaft failure. The work order that I found in a pannier said the rear drive locked up and the bike was trailered into the shop. Since the bike had 59,000 miles, the PD decided to not have the work done and the bike was auctioned off to me. Somewhere the driveshaft was removed probably so the bike could be rolled around. I found a nice used shaft for sale and installed it after cleaning up the debris in the swingarm. After reading chrismilli’s story, I’m hesitant to take the bike in for driveshaft replacement?
Sounds like the warranty claim would be void without the factory installed shaft still in anyway, sounds like you would not want to be in that conversation either

Sounds like the warranty claim would be void without the factory installed shaft still in anyway, sounds like you would not want to be in that conversation either
The shafts are not serialized, so as long as the used shaft was correct for the model there would be no reason to question it. Better for Rballou53 to have a new replacement shaft under the campaign than stick with a used one with no history.

Best,
DeVern

Had a 2014 GSA with 75k a few years back (pre-recall). U joint came apart at speed when I was 2 days away from home. Was able to safely coast to the shoulder & get a tow to Uhaul to rent a truck for the transport home. Out of pocket for the truck rental, new shaft and swing arm damage. Factory recall would have been a preferred alternative.

Back